lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #161
cmcnice
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Club Car Onward Leaf Lithium conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
You are correct about the programming. Another Miami local was going to have them change the input voltage to 120 so the “wrong input voltage “ error would go away and they wanted like $100 to do it. Needless to say he passed on it. However, I’d imagine someone with programming skills can probably figure out how to hack into it. That’s way out of my wheel house though.

I actually had a hiccup with my charger a little while back I figured is worth mentioning while we are on the topic. I came home one day and walking through the garage I noticed my screen had a pop up box that said “lost charger communication” or something along those lines. I took a small screwdriver and pushed the charger side CAN wires into the plug, cycled the extension chord and the charger kicked back on. Worked for a week and it happened again. So I unplugged the CAN cable from the charger and bent the CAN Hi pin a little on the charger side. Haven’t had a problem since and it’s been about a month.

Otherwise the BMS and charger have worked flawlessly over the past 8 months and I use my cart almost daily.

Good to hear all is working well 8 months later and will make a note about the pin issue. That error message is annoying and I’m not sure they can re-program it to one voltage because I asked them before Iordered and they said it auto-senses and that’s it. Not a big deal I guess.

Have you noticed a significant draw of your Dc-Dc reducer? Imagine you don’t if you are charging daily etc. I don’t use my cart sometimes for a week or two and have a sleep switch on the BMS side but want to do something easy like a switch to stop the drain from the pack from the dc-dc converter (rather than unplugging the battery pack or the reducer directly). Any ideas?
cmcnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #162
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I did notice the 12v reducer draws a little more than I would like if I was to leave my cart unattended for some time without the charger plugged in. You are correct in that I don’t really notice it because my cart is plugged in all the time with how much I use it. Even if you don’t use your cart as much as I do, what’s the harm leaving it on the charger all of the time? I know lithium packs don’t “need” to be plugged in all the time like FLA packs but I don’t see a harm in it either.

If I was to go on vacation or something and wanted to play it safe I would just disconnect the big Anderson connector which completely isolates the pack. My older version EVMS-Lite is powered by 12v and not the tap harness like the newer BMS16v2, so I can quickly isolate the pack with just the main plug. However, when my BMS loses the constant 12v the SOC meter resets (similar to presets on a head unit). But if I go away and disconnect the pack I’ll just charge it when I get back so the SOC meter resetting to 100% because the 12v was disconnected isn’t an issue.

You should be fine using a switch to shut the 12v reducer down completely. Just make sure it can handle the amperage, or use a relay. Although, the initial hit to charge the capacitor in the reducer may be brutal on the switch or relay. You may want to add some sort of precharge resistor or something so you don’t fry switches. I’m not positive on this as I’m not an electrical engineer but I do see how it could be a possibility. There are enough electrical guru’s on here that will know the answer to that one.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #163
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default Club Car Onward Leaf Lithium conversion

You could always wire the reducer into the keyswitch so that the accessories only come on when the key is on, more like that of a car. I have a Harley ignition switch with two positions, one turns on the accessories and the next turns on the controller and allows the solenoid to engage with the accelerator.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #164
folseman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nice build. Been following for awhile. Really admire the attention to detail.
I purchased a plug and play pack from China - 48V 100ah. Built to fit my cart, completely sealed in a metal box (I use it for hunting, so I wanted it out of the elements. It awesome on weight reduction and range. I did manage to fry my BMS just prior to end of our hunting season. Waiting on a replacement, and I'll try to get it back up without blowing myself up. And then a controller upgrade. I can tell it gets stressed, especially since I'm also running 25 inch mud tires.

However, I want to build one of these from scratch as you did, and do it with a 72V Bad Boy Buggy 4x4. They have all of the upgraded stuff already - 4 wheel brakes, independent suspension, controller, etc.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing. Some of us are not electrical dummies, but watching you build yours helps educate other DIY's who are interested in lithium upgrades.
folseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #165
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Folseman, thank you for the compliments.

When swapping your BMS with the new one, assuming it’s a direct replacement, be sure to check your tap harness wiring with a meter if the tap harness wires go directly to the BMS without a plug just to be on the safe side. This may be overboard but better safe than sorry. Each tap wire should increase by 3.5 volts (or whatever your cell voltage is at the time) every time you go to the next wire. If you go to the next wire and the voltage goes up by more than that, you skipped over a cell.

For me, the tap harness was the most confusing/daunting part at first. But after I did it, it’s a piece of cake. Now after helping some others build a pack, I don’t even need the tap harness wiring diagram.

I’m curious how your pack works out long term. I’m usually leery about stuff like this from China, but am all about more options than just Leaf or Volt cells.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium