lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cushman GC400 Project

I've got an early 1970's Gran Cushman Golfster model GC-400 that I want to turn into something more useful for me.

I've also got a wrecked CBR1100xx Blackbird motorcycle that has a great engine begging to be put into something.

I'm thinking of turning the bike engine sideways and running a drive shaft to a narrowed car axle in the rear to handle the high HP.

I could add reverse with one of these units:

The drivetrain would look like this:

My family likes to ride quads at the sand dunes, I want this cart to be able to go too. I thought about building a sand rail/buggy but I want to be able to fit on the narrow quad trails we have at our local dunes. It also needs the power to climb steep dune hills. I'd really like to have a differential so tight turns on trails are possible, plus the potential to add turning/cutting brakes. Reverse would be a very welcome addition as well...

NEEDS for this project:
  • Seat 2 people (min).
  • 50 inches wide (max).
  • 8 inches travel (min) to absorb whoops.
  • Power to climb big dunes.
  • Good brakes.
  • Roll cage to protect riders.
  • Nice seats and seatbelts.

WANTS for this project:
  • Differential
  • Reverse
  • Turning brakes

I found a good side view of a cart like mine on the internet and played with photo-shop to see what it could look like:

Wheelbase stock is 68 inches.

Wheelbase lifted with larger (25 inch) tires is about 78 inches.

Wheelbase to include a reverse gearbox would be about 90 inches.

How do stretched golf carts handle?? It would be as long as a RZR or Wildcat Side by Side, but 16" narrower..
mrbracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Cushman GC400 Project

would be the coolest Cushman at the dunes!,...electric or gas? it matters on the rear ratio. Something to think about,..will that 43 year old rearend handle the 1100? Make sure you have a good roll bar. You can adapt a front IFS from a sport quad to help out on ride and stability. Good luck, and ask questions,...world of help here on BGW
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
would be the coolest Cushman at the dunes!,...electric or gas? it matters on the rear ratio. Something to think about,..will that 43 year old rearend handle the 1100? Make sure you have a good roll bar. You can adapt a front IFS from a sport quad to help out on ride and stability. Good luck, and ask questions,...world of help here on BGW
Thanks!
I plan on using a narrowed car rear axle. A roll bar is definitely in the plans!!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi all.
No, I haven't been slacking on building something, it just morphed into something else....
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seen as one of these guys that starts a thread with lofty goals and never builds anything...

I decided the 1100 was a bit much for the golf cart so I started building a little tube frame buggy instead. I still have the golf cart and hope to just stuff a HF 13hp into it to tool around.

The mini buggy isn't done yet, but I did drive it for the first time today!!! Here's a video:

And here is a build thread for it if you're interested:

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...ggy-build.html
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Just read through your whole Buggy Build, gotta say some real nice work man. You put that much effort in the Cushman it will be one of the best ones here.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Well?? Where is it?
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The cushman is still stuffed into the corner of the shop... You can see it at the beginning of the above video.

Here's a video of my buggy's first trip to the sand:

Here's a video from my buddy's buggy, my buggy is bouncing around in front of his for most of this video..

Gonna be a while before I get back to the golf cart.... got a few projects ahead of it...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps