lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Kaylad702
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 1990 gas ezgo wont hit top speed

Hello - I have been racking my brain trying to figure this thing out. When I put this baby away for the Winter it was running just fine. I pull it out replace the belts fuel filter and spark plug and when you have the pedal to the metal it seems sluggish. Top speed is maybe 8-10 mph. I have adjusted the govenor all the way down to no avail. The machine runs strong and even borrowed a compression tester and it tested out at 140. I have read a few posts on here about the whole BBQ muffler which is set for tonight as I really don’t want to have to buy a new muffler for this beast as the darn this is $995.00. Help here would be much appreciated. On a side note - What is so darn special about that years muffler? And would I be able to retro fit an earlier models muffler as I can pick one of those up for around $158.00. Thanks again for all the help. This is such an awesome place full of knowledge.
Kaylad702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 gas ezgo wont hit top speed

Watch your throttle shaft when you step on the pedal to start. It should start off at an idle and go to wide open throttle with the pedal fully depressed. I have seen many people adjust the governor the wrong way. Also, make sure the governor cable moves freely. good luck.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good point aintgot, With the key off, push the throttle all the way down and then check the carb butterfly valve (at the linkage connection) to see if there is any more travel left in it's throw.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Kaylad702
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys- I did check all the linkage and it does open all the way. I am prety sure the govenor is right (screwed all the way in). What does the linkage do that goes straight down to the bottom of the cart? Looks like it hooks to the drive train or something. Not sure here. And what about the muffler BBq - Could the muffler be plugged? Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The linkage at the axle is your govenor.The cable runs from pedal to axle govenor-arm,then from the opposite arm to the carb.When the govenor engages,it pulls the throttle back.Is your cart a 2-stroke?Thats the only engine that requires BBQ'ing.4-strokes don't load the muffler with oil-residue.How about the air-filter,is it clogged?Is the choke adjusted properly,and fully open?Did you clean all of the jets and passages in the carb?A set of Torch-Tip cleaners and some spray carb-cleaner can make a big difference.How old is the Gas?If its' a 4-stroke,and the gas is over 3-mos.old,its' garbage,drain and refill.2-stroke with pre-mix will last a little longer,maybe 6-mos.,the oil helps preserve the fuel.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Kaylad702
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: 1990 gas ezgo wont hit top speed

This is a 2 stroke engine. The gas is brand new (premium) thought it couldnt hurt. The gas isnt mixed but I will be pulling the oil container and pump out this weekend so I can mix my own gas. I have not touched the carb as it makes me a bit nervous (dont want to screw anything up). I did do the bbq muffler last night but have not reinstalled the muffler. I will do that tonight. As far as the govenor, I thought this was the spring that attaches to the throttle cable. I loosened the small nut and tightened the big nut all the way down. On my machine it sits right behind the block (hope the picture came through). I have seen a few threds that it might be bad seals but I just dont understand how that all works. Thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: png motor.png (1.38 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Kaylad702
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I see the linkage goes from peda>goveror>carb> then goes straight down to something that you have to get underneath the cart to see and I am just not sure what that is?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ok I am going to ask. Is your engine hitting max rpm? I've seen a few times where a new belt effects the top speed till it finishes breaking in. Could also be a stuck clutch. If the clutch is stuck even slightly it's like your cart trying to start in 2nd or 3rd gear.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Kaylad702
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the clutch yesterday and it seems to be engaging fine. Last night I took out the oil tank,oil pump and installed the bbq'd muffler. Seems to be running a little better but seems a little slower then last year. The rpm seems fine maybe even a little high. I installed the new belt late last year and it ran fine. Is there a way to adjust it. Should it have some play and if so how much.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

spray some carb cleaner around the crankshaft on both sides while running if the engine stutters or spits when you do it the seals are bad dont spray too much just enough too check it out ...
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO