lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
stevek
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 Robin quit running

I have a 1983 ez go cart with a robin 244cc. engine. It has been running fine until yesterday when it started smoking and then would not run anymore. I towed it to the garage and began trouble shooting the problem. There is gas up to the carburetor, and the plug is getting wet as well as fuel is collecting in the air intake. When I dry the plug, it will run for a short time(only secs.)enough to move it a few feet. I have run it with too rich a mixture, and have drained rich fuel and replaced with oil free gas to try to obtain the 128:1mix. The oil injection is not working to my knowledge. We have been running this cart for about one year with no problems to speak of until this..
stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 Robin quit running

Check your compression, you might have a blown crank seal or maybe just time for a top end rebuild.
You can spray some starting fluid at the crank seal by the clutch and if it pops and fires that could be your problem.

But I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowlage than me.
LiL' rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

lil rascal summed it up pretty good imo..from what ive read the only thing most have to do once a yr is take the head off and scrape the carbon out and put back together with a new gasket and they run forever..im anxious to learn what your problem is so i learn more myself..hope ya get her figured out soon,john
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Sounds like there is a piece of trash between the needle and seat causing it to flood. I think with a good carb cleaning you'll be good to go.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Racin161 has a good point. I'd try that first
LiL' rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same kind of problem and what i found was my choke cable was adjusted wrong. It was half closed making it run rich and i also had fuel in the air cleaner tube.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
stevek
Not Yet Wild

I am going to try the carb cleaning first, as that is probably the easiest thing and because the buggie was running fine and starting very easily until I made a turnaround at the end of the driveway. I am thinking that a stuck float and dirty needle valve may be causing the carb to fill with gas and flood the cylinder and pour back into the intake. I am not much of a mechanic, so am wondering if I have my thinking cap on straight? Are parts readily available for these engines?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heres a diagram of the carb. The parts that are circled needs to cleaned the best as they are the jets.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
stevek
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the diagram, it will be very helpful I am sure. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
stevek
Not Yet Wild

Cleaning the carb did not help. The engine seems to be starting, but not accelerating enough to engage the belt drive to propel the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO