lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Precedent Stereo Project - check me please

I wasn't sure where to post this but thought maybe somewhere with more exposure than just the Electric Club Car forum might be helpful. I have a 06 Electric Precedent. Mods so far are just the light kit and rear folding seat. Our vision includes a 6" lift kit and some nice tires/wheels.

However, my next mod is to install a stereo and that's where I'd like some input. First I am going to install a 48v to 12v converter to wire the radio to and rewire the lights to. But, I've gone back and forth as far as whether to put the radio and speakers in an overhead console or try to do something different. I'd rather do something different if I can get away with it.

First, I'd like to install some 6.5" speakers on either side of the f/r switch under the seat. I've seen other carts done this way and even saw a picture of it done on an electric precedent in my buggies unlimited catalog that arrived yesterday. The speakers I've ordered are Polk Audio db651 6.5" marine grade speakers. They are "shallow mount" speakers with a top mount depth of 1 11/16". When I measure the clearance between the body wall and the battery basket, it appears it will be tight but should fit. Anyone have any thoughts on putting speakers there? If you think it's doable, what would you use to cut the holes with?

Then I have to figure out where/how to install the head unit. I've found a black universal mounting "box" that I should be able to use to mount it up under the dash. I'm thinking that would allow me to later install a dash kit with a locking glove box that could protect the radio from getting stolen. The reason I am looking at that route is because I haven't found a dash kit that has a cutout for a radio that is available for precedent models.

Any opinions on this setup are welcomed. The overhead console solution is straightforward but seems a lot easier to steal. There may be times where our cart is left at a campground for several days with no supervision. We can cover and lock up the cart itself but it would be harder to protect the contents of the cart. I also know that an ipod will be plugged into the aux port on the radio most of the time and that would mean a wire dangling down from overhead all the time and no good place to actually put the ipod down.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Precedent Stereo Project - check me please

If you are going to be using an ipod most of the time do you really need a head unit? I bought a neat little 100w amp from ebay that has a remote, tuner, and aux input. I hid it behind the center in the dashboard. The amp powers the speakers, the remote controls the amp, and you can add any input source you like such as an ipod or your phone. I love it, and people have no idea where it is to steal it. To a thief they see speakers but no stereo!
Maybe something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-4...Q5fAccessories
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
XRT
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, if you want good quality sound.

Use good quality stuff.
I do not suggest you use any of the Pyramid or Boss products and stuff alike.

Im running a 5 1/4" Polk Audio component set in my dash with a MB Quart 400w amp.
It sounds perfect.
XRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Got my speakers and the depth is not bad. 6.5" polks - marine grade. Looks like I may have to cut a couple of small notches in the battery bay walls for magnet clearance but not any huge holes. Definitely leaves plenty of clearence between the batteries and the speakers when all is done. For the radio (Kenwood marine grade with usb port and built in ipod control), I'm going to use a universal under dash mount kit and just install the head unit up under the dash.

Could use some advice on best way to run wires back and forth between battery bay and dash though if anyone has any.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
XRT
Gone Wild

Club Car

Run them under the cart within wire loom
XRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
JG!
Gone Wild

JG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Here's a pic of the speakers, installed. Routed the wires as suggested. I started another thread in this forum to track my progress. Speakers are done. Head unit coming next.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

that's whre I mounted mine on my last body kit. Was OK, until I swapped the kit. Now I'm left with an old body with two big-*** holes that are gonna be a S.O.B to repair. It's the easiest place to install the speakers though. Anyone got any other ideas for installation/placement?
ohwhofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides