lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Converting 4-leaf springs to 2-leaf

I just purchased a set of heavy duty leaf springs (a 4-spring pack) for my cart because the factory ones were insufficient when I had a passenger or two on the back.

Before installing the new springs, I removed the bottom leaf from each pack because the u-bolts weren't long enough and they looked pretty useless anyway. Now I have the 3-spring pack and the cart sits about 1" higher in the back than it did with the factory springs. I already have a 3" Jakes lift on the cart and while 1" doesn't seem like much (so she said ), it is enough to make it uncomfortable when riding as you feel like you are leaning forward the whole time. Also, it looks like one of those '70's hot rods except it's missing the traction bars and dual exhaust.

Has anyone else experienced this with heavy duty springs and if so, what, if anything, did you do? It seems like these springs are better suited for non-lifted carts.

I was thinkng about removing one more leaf making it a 2-spring pack or putting the factory spring back on with the one leaf I removed as a "Helper Spring" and selling the new set. Right now, if my wife and I sit on the back of the cart, the back end hardly goes down.
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
wilster734
IDK&YDE

Club Car

Default Re: Converting 4-leaf springs to 2-leaf

I think if you go 2 springs it would come down enough to be almost level and your ride would improve some. They are very stiff springs, and on mine with 2 leafs it is still able to handle a load unlike a single leaf ever did.
wilster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was gonna just add one leaf to my lift when I install it as too many peeps say 4 leafs are to stiff or just buy a new two leaf rear spring for my cart. I got a couple of stock rear leaf springs from my carts and I think a couple of peeps here have cut a stock one down and added it to their leaf under their cart and saw a difference. This is the cheapy way but seems to work
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
wilster734
IDK&YDE

Club Car

Yes that works too, did that to a buddy of mines cart. The only thing that you need to do is either put a lot of synthetic grease between the leafs when you reinstall them or get the factory teflon pads that are usually between them.This is what keeps them from squeaking. The other thing is to secure them together with a clamp of some sort to keep the second leaf straight. Good luck
wilster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input. Since I have the new springs on the cart already, I will try removing one more leaf...it will be easier than trying to "build" a new spring pack.

Last edited by Loosewire; 06-11-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Got any pics of your cart with the wheels and lift? Id like to see the 3" lift on your cart
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Got any pics of your cart with the wheels and lift? Id like to see the 3" lift on your cart
Here is a "before" picture...

Here are a couple of "after" pictures before I added the HD rear leaf springs. I don't have a picture with the new springs yet.

In the last picture you will see the limited rear-wheel clearance, even with the lift. When two people were on the back, the springs were bottomed out.

Last edited by Loosewire; 06-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: clarification
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts