lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
buckfifty98
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Club Car Caroche master cylinder

My first thread. I have a 1971 Caroche, I'm just beginning to fix it up and I'm pretty sure the master cylinder is bad. According to the serial number K1854A, it has a DICO brake system. I come across a few Mercury master cylinders but not DICO. Anyone know if the Mercury will fit? OR can I rehab the old one somehow? Here's a couple of pics. Obviously, there is no brake fluid (does it use ordinary brake fluid?) so it must be leaking somewhere. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caroche (15).jpg (37.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg caroche (17).jpg (45.6 KB, 29 views)
buckfifty98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Club Car Caroche master cylinder

Other members have had luck with Caroche parts here: http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/

I would think you would be better off to clean up and replace seals as the first option. Hope this helps....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are unable to find a ( new cylinder ) I would look at sites that catter to antique cars as there are companys that could clean up and resleave the pitted bore of master cylinders, wheel cylinders and furnish you with needed interior parts for master and wheel cylinders. Be sure to replace all brake lines as they will also be full of moisture and rust. You can purchase lines in length to fit that you can bend to fit. Yes they do use regular brake fluid, but get one with the highest rating so it wont absorb moisture like your old one did? I understand that antique car parts suplliers have a special synthetic fluid out for antique autos that works much better for this type of usage.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
buckfifty98
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah, I kind of wanted to rehab the old one somehow but seriously, how do you get that crap out of inside? And finding seals... Replacing all the lines is a good idea, thanks. I haven't pulled the wheels to look at the hubs and shoes, etc. I'm sure I'll have to redo all that. I wonder if it would be worth removing the body to get to all this stuff? Is that hard to do on most carts? It appears to be do-able without much trouble.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Like I said the company that rebuilds the cylinders will have the right size parts ( cups, pistons, boots ) AFTER BORING AND OR SLEAVING THE BORES to give you complete like new units. They use a very caustic acid bath of some kind THAT WONT SOAK INTO POURS OF METAL AND COME BACK AND HAUNT YOU LATER ON. I have tried normal brake solvents and find that the cups swell up over time as the acid in cleaner will soak into metal parts?
Some years ago I sent some early 1925 Chrysler wheel cylinders and master cylinder to a restoration company and when they came back with all new parts, all threads cleaned and new bleeder valve and painted to look brand new. I was able to put them on as SHOW ROOM NEW FOR JUDGING AND WON THROPHYS THAT YEAR WITH THE CAR.
If I were you I would remove the body and give you a much better acceses to needed parts removal and replacement. Brake lines are sometimes hard to get at as they sometimes wind through frame and can be a pain to replace.
( NOTE )---BE SURE AND REPLACE ALL BRAKE FLUID LINES AS THEY WILL BE RUSTED AS BAD AS THE CYLINDER YOU SHOWED. And if left on will RUIN ALL the restored parts that you will be installing.
By doing this you can be able to turn the frame on side and its much easier to work on that way. You may find some bolts frozen after all these years but give them a dose of good rust buster of some kind and it will help alot.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT, I wish it was ME doing it BUT?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
buckfifty98
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Like I said the company that rebuilds the cylinders will have the right size parts ( cups, pistons, boots ) AFTER BORING AND OR SLEAVING THE BORES to give you complete like new units. They use a very caustic acid bath of some kind THAT WONT SOAK INTO POURS OF METAL AND COME BACK AND HAUNT YOU LATER ON. I have tried normal brake solvents and find that the cups swell up over time as the acid in cleaner will soak into metal parts?
Some years ago I sent some early 1925 Chrysler wheel cylinders and master cylinder to a restoration company and when they came back with all new parts, all threads cleaned and new bleeder valve and painted to look brand new. I was able to put them on as SHOW ROOM NEW FOR JUDGING AND WON THROPHYS THAT YEAR WITH THE CAR.
If I were you I would remove the body and give you a much better acceses to needed parts removal and replacement. Brake lines are sometimes hard to get at as they sometimes wind through frame and can be a pain to replace.
( NOTE )---BE SURE AND REPLACE ALL BRAKE FLUID LINES AS THEY WILL BE RUSTED AS BAD AS THE CYLINDER YOU SHOWED. And if left on will RUIN ALL the restored parts that you will be installing.
By doing this you can be able to turn the frame on side and its much easier to work on that way. You may find some bolts frozen after all these years but give them a dose of good rust buster of some kind and it will help alot.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT, I wish it was ME doing it BUT?

Thank You very much, Old Mec. I've turned most of this sort of thing over in my mind but since I haven't done a cart before, I just hate to waste effort doing it wrong first. I think this is what I'll do, I'll just go down to the battery store and spend the money for batteries, make sure it actually runs. Then I'm going to take the body off (it'll be easier to paint too) and change out all the rusty wires, take all the brake stuff out and do exactly what you advised. This baby is going to be sweet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caroche (19).jpg (44.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg caroche.jpg (67.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg caroche (18).jpg (50.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

While your replacing the wiring do yourself a favor and install at least 4 guage welding cable with the highest strand count where all large cables are now, and you can get them with crimped and soldered ends. I am lucky that in my area the welding store will crimp and solder the ends on IF I CUT EACH CABLE TO SIZE before hand. It will not cost that much more and really helps with operation. Check your resistors and solenoids for condition, broken cracked or inoperable solenoids will drive you crazy. You will have from 4-5 solenoids and 3-4 micro switches that control then. All these should be checked with a tester and or battery for operation.
Be sure and get quality batterys as anything less will haunt you down the road with poor performance and short life. I try and use Trojans myself, others will tell you that they dont justify the cost BUT THATS MY .02 WORTH on that matter.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty98 View Post
Thank You very much, Old Mec. I've turned most of this sort of thing over in my mind but since I haven't done a cart before, I just hate to waste effort doing it wrong first. I think this is what I'll do, I'll just go down to the battery store and spend the money for batteries, make sure it actually runs. Then I'm going to take the body off (it'll be easier to paint too) and change out all the rusty wires, take all the brake stuff out and do exactly what you advised. This baby is going to be sweet!
Just was reading your old post and was wondering if you are still here and if you ever finished your cart.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car