lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
jdavid1
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS upgrade help

I just recently got my hands on a 2004 EZGO PDS. After doing a lot of research on here from a lot of good threads I decided to get on here and ask about my personal situation.

So my cart is a 2004 PDS 36V which is getting new batteries right now. I want to put 20" or 20.5" tires on it and keep it stock height. My main goal is speed. I'd like to be in the 23-25mph range. I have the Freedom chip and 4ga wires already. After seeing a lot of different set ups I am hoping you guys can help me get what I need. From what I understand the best way to go would be...

1. Freedom chip
2. Alltrax XCT400PDS controller with HD200 solenoid and fan kit
3. PlumQuick Bandit motor

Questions:

Is this the way to go and would a new motor even be necessary?

Would I be burning anything up if I ran this setup wide open for ~2-3miles?

Is it worth the money to do all this when the freedom chip will get me 19mph?

Thanks for the help guys. Glad to finally join the forum.
jdavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS upgrade help

Freedom chip will give you anywhere from 17-19 mph..but keeps the same amount of torque so it will be more top end speed. I also have a 36v PDS where i ran a chip for a while before ultimately changing to an alltrax 400 amp controller with my stock motor. The torque and speed you will get out of that even with the stock motor would probably be the best place to start if you want to drop a little cash and get a great bang for your buck, then if its not enough move onto the plum quick next. If you ultimately wanted to lift it or add a back seat your original controller with a freedom chip may get too hot and go into a thermal shutdown mode (mine did this a couple times when I had people on going up and down hills).
If you end up going with the Alltrax controller make sure you upgrade your cables to at least 4 gauge. I run 2 gauge in mine and they never get hot. As far as going wide open for a few miles if you run the right cables and everything is snug on the terminals you shouldn't have a problem at all with an upgraded controller, and wouldnt either with a freedom chip depending on the terrain and hills. Make sure to check out Scottyb at cartsunlimited.net for the best prices on controller packages around!
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The freedom chip only apples ti the stock controller, which limits the motor top about 4400 RPM, which is almost 19 MPH on stock height (18") tires and about 21.6 MPH (mathematically) on 20.5" tires. Actual speed will be less due to the torque losses due to the taller tires changing the final drive ratio.

With a XCT48400, the user is allowed to set the max RPM up to 8000 RPM, but a stock PDS motor will only spin at about 5600 RPM powered from a 36V battery pack, which is about 24 MPH on 18" tires and upwards of 27.5 MPH on 20.5" tires (less torque losses).

A Bandit motor will up the speed some more.

-------------
With the XCT controller, add another 6V battery to the pack for 42V and the cart will have 16.7% more speed and torque.

When I was running a stock motor with the predecessor to the XCT controller at 42V, I got about 28.5 MPH on 17" tall tires, which is about 7000 RPM at the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

One thing you didn't state or I missed it. Does it or will it have the rear seat ? If so, the XCT should get you the speed you desire as well as make a very suitable neighbourhood cruiser. Stock controller just really isn't enough for a 4 passenger cart IMO. Plum Quick will not hurt but the stock motor if it is in good condition should be fine with the xct400..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
jdavid1
Not Yet Wild

Awesome responses guys! That's just what I wanted to know. To answer some questions: I did have a rear seat but when I took it off to clean up the cart I couldn't believe how freaking heavy it was. So I'm leaving that off as I don't really need it at the moment. This is going to be more of a golf neighborhood cruiser for me and the wife. I live in south Louisiana so there isn't a hill in sight.

Johnnie B, So I should be hitting around 25mph with the controller and 20.5" tires correct (36V)?

Going to a 42V and new controller sounds like what I need to do, but I would have to get another charger correct?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

New charger and a 7th battery.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid1 View Post
1. Awesome responses guys! That's just what I wanted to know. To answer some questions: I did have a rear seat but when I took it off to clean up the cart I couldn't believe how freaking heavy it was. So I'm leaving that off as I don't really need it at the moment. This is going to be more of a golf neighborhood cruiser for me and the wife. I live in south Louisiana so there isn't a hill in sight.

2. Johnnie B, So I should be hitting around 25mph with the controller and 20.5" tires correct (36V)?

3. Going to a 42V and new controller sounds like what I need to do, but I would have to get another charger correct?

2. A PDS with a XCT48400 controller and stock motor will give you about 24 MPH on stock tires at 36V and about 27 MPH on 20.5" road tires.

3. The charger, solenoid and controller will have to be 42V rated. The XCT works at 36V, 42V and 48V, but not all solenoids do. The HD 200A solenoid is voltage specific, however the optional Super-Duty MJZ 400 will operate at 36V, 42V and 48V. I've used it at 36V and 42V so far.

The charger has to match the pack voltage, so you will need a 42V charger.
The DPI Accusense 42V is the best bang for the buck: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html

Going to 42V will take the top speed upwards of 32 MPH on 20.5" tires, which is way too fast for rear wheel only mechanical brakes.

You should probably program the XCT to limit the motor to 6000 RPM, which is about 29.5 on 20.5" tires and still too fast for the stock brakes.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
jdavid1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Jonnie, that's what I was looking for. I'm glad I finally joined this forum. You guys are great.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you end up going to 42v remember to add a voltage reducer for your accessories (lights, radio etc)
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid1 View Post
<SNIP>
1. Freedom chip
2. Alltrax XCT400PDS controller with HD200 solenoid and fan kit
3. PlumQuick Bandit motor

Questions:

Is this the way to go and would a new motor even be necessary?

Would I be burning anything up if I ran this setup wide open for ~2-3miles?

<SNIP>
Just re-read your original post and need to add some info for you to consider.

With an Alltrax XCT controller and 20.5" tires your cart's top speed will be upwards of 27 MPH at 36V and over 30 MPH at 42V, while the stock brakes are designed for <20MPH, so you'll need the regen braking to lessen the demand on the mechanical brakes, or upgrade to disk brakes, possibly going to 4-wheel disc brakes.

PQ recommends the regen braking be disabled when a Bandit is installed, so some other motor is better suited for applications that need regen braking.

PQ also recommends the Turbo be turned off, which reduces the top speed obtainable.

Personally, I'd build it using the stock PDS motor, which tolerates the output of an XCT48400PDS with regen braking and Turbo turned on. If more speed and/or torque is desired, go with the appropriate model Admiral or D&D. They have physically longer cases so they can produce more torque and dissipate more heat.

Tags
controller, motor, pds, speed, upgrades
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO