lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
sacrider
Not Yet Wild

Default Chassis recommendation for 52v li-ion conversion and project reality check

Hi buggie fanatics,

I do a lot of e-bike conversions and now I have my eye on converting a golf cart. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many resources online for li-ion conversions in the golf cart space as there is in the bike world. I'm looking for a used 48v cart and could use some advice for what model I should buy. I happen to already have some 52v li-ion batteries and want to use them for the conversion. It's totally flat where I live, I don't need more than 10 miles of range, and don't need to go faster than 20mph. The cart will be used to move the kids around the neighborhood and that's about it. My 52v batteries will put out 40amps continuous and have about a 28ah capacity. I know that's not much compared to some of the li-ion cart conversions out there but my power needs are very modest and I already own the batteries and chargers.

My hope is that I'd be able to find a used 48v four seat golf cart with dead batteries and that my 52v li-ion battery would serve as a mostly plug and play substitute. If I have to replace controllers and motors, this doesn't make sense for me. Can any of you see any reason I can't just swap out the old batteries with my li-ions without having to redo all the electronics? Do I need to worry about being slightly over-volted?

Thanks!
sacrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Chassis recommendation for 52v li-ion conversion and project reality check

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrider View Post
Hi buggie fanatics,

My 52v batteries will put out 40amps continuous I'm not sure this will be enough current to drive the electrical system of a cart, but I'll let one of the electrical gurus give you a definitive answer on this. and have about a 28ah capacity. I know that's not much compared to some of the li-ion cart conversions out there but my power needs are very modest and I already own the batteries and chargers.

My hope is that I'd be able to find a used 48v four seat golf cart with dead batteries and that my 52v li-ion battery would serve as a mostly plug and play substitute. If I have to replace controllers and motors, this doesn't make sense for me. There are folks on here who have done lithium conversions and still use the stock motors. I'm not sure about the stock controllers though.Can any of you see any reason I can't just swap out the old batteries with my li-ions without having to redo all the electronics? Do I need to worry about being slightly over-volted? You would not need to worry about the slight over voltage. Many folks on here are running higher voltages than 52.

Thanks!
Most of the folks on here converting to lithium are using batteries from Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs. There are a few that have used other batteries. If you use the search in the tool bar, you will find many threads.

Oh, and welcome to the forum
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Chassis recommendation for 52v li-ion conversion and project reality check

As the Alltrax Tech told me when I ask the question of "Flooded batteries" vs "Lithium batteries" he said "Power is power no matter what the source."

So, if the standard (factory) controller can "take" the 52-V (I've read a few post where the factory controllers cannot support 57-V....the controller shuts down) you should have no problems using your lithium batteries.

Of course, amp\hr is still going to be a consideration even if you're just driving over flat terrain. You don't state the brand of lithium batteries you're using (or if you're also using a Battery Management System = BMS) or the total amp\hr your battery pack will have. You don't want to do the switch only to find out you have a 2 mile run time.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
sacrider
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the warm welcome. I've seen the posts about the Leaf and Volt batteries but as far as I've been able to find, they don't generally address overvolting and any use case for lower amps. I'm having trouble find spec sheets for the typical controllers found in electric carts and their voltage tolerance. Good to hear a little extra voltage doesn't seem to cause too much trouble. With the lower current, i'm guessing it will be even less of an issue.

My batteries are custom made from Panasonic li-ion cells and already have a bluetooth BMS built in that allows me to remotely monitor cell voltage and temperature. I have a few thousand watt hours available for capacity but only 40amp continuous current.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Carts can pull big amps and I don't think 40a continuous will cut it. My cart can cruise on a fairly flat surface and pull more than 40 amp continuous. So that 28ah pack won't last you long at all.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
sacrider
Not Yet Wild

That's good to know, thanks. I only need a few miles range but if you are pulling 40amps on level ground, looks like I'm going to need more power.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

True what NCPW has stated. My cart will pull about 120amps on a "reasonable" flat smooth terrain. On steep hills is close to 400.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
Gainerman
Not Yet Wild

Can always buy a dirt cheap 36v coil cart with bad batteries and no charger put 3 cheap 12v batts in it for take off and low speed cruising, use your lithuim pack for full speed 35 amp draw ground covering . .then if you ever feel like showing off without the kids in tow you can switch to series wiring the fla and lithium packs "lithium boost" style and have a little fun
Be safe though of course
Gainerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car