lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
1redheadrn
Not Yet Wild

Cool 91" 295cc 4 stroke firing problem

Hello everyone, was hoping to get help with 1991 4 stroke 295cc robin in an ez-go cart. The engine will only fire 1 time(1 spark) when I press the gas pedal, and 1 time(1 spark) when I let off the gas pedal. the battery is new and hot. I have replaced the pulsar coil with a new one. Have checked and cleaned all connections, all with no change. When i put a volt meter on the white and red wire going to the top of the ignition coil and crank the engine over, I get reading of 10.59-10.75 volts.The cart has been acting up for a while, taking a long time to get cranked when cold, but after starting and warming up, would run great all day. Any Ideas????
1redheadrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91" 295cc 4 stroke firing problem

Hi Red, I would adjust the valve's if you haven't yet, they won't run right if not adjusted to spec's.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey 1redheadrn,
I have a 95 medalist with the 295 Robins engine. A while back mine did the same thing. It would fire one time and that was it. I checked the pulsar and the coil, they both checked good. So I figured it had to be the ignitor. I tried to buy a new ignitor but no one get get it. So I pulled the ignitor and changed it over to a HEI. The HEI ignition module can be bought for the old chevys from the late 70's. Search this forum for HEL conversion and you can get the wiring info if you decide to do it.
Robert Yow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
slackerr007
Not Yet Wild

from the pictures in the post it looks like to me that this motor has a timming belt and the motor may have jumped timming or broke timing belt..jmo
slackerr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
1redheadrn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks robert, I was thinking along the same line,(ignitor coil box thing). However thoes things are so expensive It would be nice if there was a way to test the old one before buying a new one. I will try to find a way to convert it to HEI as that might be a little cheaper,if not better, way to get fire
Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
doozerann
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

check all your grounds to make sure their is no corrosion.
doozerann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey 1redheadrn, the HEI conversion is very cheap compared to the Ignitor. The HEL I purchased from Advance Auto was around $25.00! Good luck...
Robert Yow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
1redheadrn
Not Yet Wild

Found a used ignitor coil yesterday, heard a cart run with it on, bought it, installed it on my cart, and of course, THE SAME D*&% THING!!!. I'm at a total loss, don't know what to try next.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

These motors have all of the electrical components to run by themselves, it is a magneto/cdi system and doesnt need 12V to fire.
Unplug the ground wire and rev limiter wire from the ignition circuit and try it. If it runs good you have a bad rev limiter or intermittent grounding issue in your harness.
If it still acts up the only thing left is the coil.
But, Every issue I have heard about the one spark only with pedal has always been the ignitor. Your new one could be bad.
Speaking of ignitors, Any one from a older style weedeater or chainsaw that has the ignitor not built into the coil will replace these cart ignitors. I have one with wires and alligator clips that I test with.

Like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-IGNITI...item2eb4270734

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO