lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
gnavarre28
Not Yet Wild

Default New to owning golf carts (2003 36v txt) series

Just picked up my first cart to let the kids mess around on and take into town. The cart is pretty clean, new Trojan batteries 3 years ago. I ordered some 20” rims and tires for it, front and rear shocks and heavy duty rear springs. That said she’s a little slow. I’ve started reading through some post and am looking to unleash some more power from it. Just not sure how crazy I want to get. What’s an inexpensive way to wake it up? At some point I’m may get into an upgrade motor, controller and maybe convert it to 48v. Can I cheap it out for now with getting the stock controller reprogrammed?
gnavarre28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to owning golf carts (2003 36v txt) dcs

If it is a 2003, it isn't a DCS. The drive system would be either a Series drive or a PDS (sepex) drive.

If the F/R control is a rocker switch on the dash, it is a PDS.

Max speed on a stock series drive is about 14MPH and a stock PDS can do about 18.5 in freedom mode. What is your cart's speed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
gnavarre28
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to owning golf carts (2003 36v txt) dcs

Sorry, yes I believe series cart. F/W not on a toggle but under the seat. The identification plate on the passenger side cubby is gone. I pulled the serial number from the frame but it didn’t cross reference anything online. I haven’t gps’d but it’s slow.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to owning golf carts (2003 36v txt) series

If it is a series drive cart and you are getting about 14MPH on stock height (18") tires, then the only ways to speed it up are:
1. Change final drive ratio. (Different gears in differential or taller tires) Loses torque and gains speed.
2. Change motor. Changes in torque and speed depend on motor selected.
3. Up battery pack voltage. Going to 42V increases both torque and speed by 16.7% and going to 48V ups both by 33.3%.

The 20" tall tires you've got on order (if they are truly 20" tall) will up the speed (mathematically) by 11.1% and reduce the torque by 10.0%. You won't see the full speed gain due to the reduction in torque. And, if they are the low pressure (<10PSI max inflation pressure) type tires, the cart's top speed may end up slower that what it is with stock tires.

The first step is getting the cart to run at stock speeds on stock height tires. Bad cables, contacts and connections can be limiting max speed, as well as dragging brakes and bad bearings and some other stuff.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
gnavarre28
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so next step? I wrench on all my stuff, have several snowmobiles (always throw new clutch kits and cans on), dirt bikes and side by sides. I’m pretty well educated on how to make all that faster, but not so much on the electrical components. If this is going to be a dog until I upgrade to a 500 amp controller, new motor, switches 2 gauge wires, etc, then it is what it is. Johnnie you seemed to be well versed in this so just looking for some real direction. Another $600-$700 cool, but am I realistically looking at double?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnavarre28 View Post
Ok, so next step? I wrench on all my stuff, have several snowmobiles (always throw new clutch kits and cans on), dirt bikes and side by sides. I’m pretty well educated on how to make all that faster, but not so much on the electrical components. If this is going to be a dog until I upgrade to a 500 amp controller, new motor, switches 2 gauge wires, etc, then it is what it is. Johnnie you seemed to be well versed in this so just looking for some real direction. Another $600-$700 cool, but am I realistically looking at double?
YES.....if you are talking about everything you mentioned above.....as that's what I have done, you can see that all in my signature.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO