lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
stondini
Not Yet Wild

Default Custom LiFePoO4 question

I have a lifted 2017 CCP running 22" tires, stock controller and stock motor.

After going back and forth a few times between 280Ah and 150Ah I finally decided to build my pack out of 3.2v 150Ah batteries, mainly due to space.

The plan is to build the batteries in series for a 48V 150Ah battery.

Now the last part - how do I charge the thing. I have the stock ERIC charger and a quick visit to the mfg website says not to use them on Lithium batteries. For those who have built batteries, which chargers are you using?
stondini is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Custom LiFePoO4 question

I ordered a custom Schauer for mine. Tried to make a Lester Summit II work but no love!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You need a charger designed for lithium batteries, which is simply a current limited constant voltage power supply of appropriate voltage and current.

For 16s LiFePo4, the maximum voltage should be 58.4v, but it can be reduced to 57.6v with very little loss in capacity but an increased service life. The maximum charge current can be anything up to 75A although trying to charge at that high of a current has other challenges such as a suitable AC outlet (58.4v x 75a = 4380w) and heat generated in cables and connectors.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
cubsrule17
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stondini View Post
I have a lifted 2017 CCP running 22" tires, stock controller and stock motor.

After going back and forth a few times between 280Ah and 150Ah I finally decided to build my pack out of 3.2v 150Ah batteries, mainly due to space.

The plan is to build the batteries in series for a 48V 150Ah battery.

Now the last part - how do I charge the thing. I have the stock ERIC charger and a quick visit to the mfg website says not to use them on Lithium batteries. For those who have built batteries, which chargers are you using?

Have a link to the 150ah batteries? I’m starting to look around at doing the conversion as well.
cubsrule17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just make sure you balance the batteries first and use a bms and fuses. I apologize if preaching to the choir
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
cubsrule17
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC53 View Post
Just make sure you balance the batteries first and use a bms and fuses. I apologize if preaching to the choir
Can you give me an idea of where you’d put the fuses and the size of them? Starting to dig around on a project like this.
cubsrule17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsrule17 View Post
Can you give me an idea of where you’d put the fuses and the size of them? Starting to dig around on a project like this.
Your controller should have a recommended fusing and wire size. I would start there. I think my alltrax came with a 400a fuse.

https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...ns-Learned.pdf

With batteries, I always put the fuse on the B+ terminal or on a bus within 7” of said terminal. Whether 250a or 400a fuse, that is a lot of current, be careful.
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My 500 amp Alltrax actually came with a 300 amp fuse. I have two of them in two different Yamaha carts. I installed the fuse at the negative battery terminal for convenience but you can put it on the positive if you like. I have run the monitor program with my Alltrax and even under full acceleration it never gets over 300 amps battery current. It would have to be quite a bit over 300 amps for several seconds to blow the fuse.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I've bought a Converter/Charger from AIMs for my 48v build ($239)and just picked up an adjustable 36v from Battery Evo that I like for the price ($169.00) because I can adjust the voltage. The AIMs seems to be built better, but in the end, they both work as designed.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
stondini
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsrule17 View Post
Have a link to the 150ah batteries? I’m starting to look around at doing the conversion as well.
I got the batteries off a reputable guy in the diysolarforum - he doesn't have a website up yet but I can try and get his off-forum contact info if you like.

I'm aware of the need to balance but have questions about the process. All the folks on youtube seem to have a power supply they're doing them with. If I'm going to build one battery, buying one would be kind of a waste. Can you just top them off using the BMS and a charger?
stondini is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car