lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default zip tie mod - oil light question

Tried the zip tie mod on my fe 290 for the first time over the last week and think I got it where I want it. Runs about 3-4 mph faster, about 20 mph, occasionally hits 21. never hit rev limiter when I was fine tuning it, but when I was hitting 22-23 mph i was getting a lot of rattling so i backed it off as to not over rev the engine or break anything.

was driving last night and noticed my oil pressure light came on when i was running "full throttle" for the last 1/2 mile of my 5 mile drive. I don't have a tach. Checked oil when I got home and it was full. Is this a normal occurrence because of how hard I was working the engine or is something else wrong?
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: zip tie mod - oil light question

Just an fyi, the light is an oil level light and not an oil pressure light.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Just an fyi, the light is an oil level light and not an oil pressure light.
I am mistaken - perhaps motor is just moving too fast to keep oil at the sensor?

thanks
Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Unlikely. Most likely the problem is either the float in the engine side cover itself is sticking, or the wire is shorting out somewhere between the float/switch on the back of the motor and the light.

Is your cart lifted on bigger tires? I’ve never had a stock DS go more than about 20 before hitting the rev limiter. If it was doing 23-24 and getting rattley the rev limiter may either by bypassed or not working. You should be able to go all the way up to the rev limiter with no negative effects.

If your tires are larger then it will go faster, obviously.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Unlikely. Most likely the problem is either the float in the engine side cover itself is sticking, or the wire is shorting out somewhere between the float/switch on the back of the motor and the light.

Is your cart lifted on bigger tires? I’ve never had a stock DS go more than about 20 before hitting the rev limiter. If it was doing 23-24 and getting rattley the rev limiter may either by bypassed or not working. You should be able to go all the way up to the rev limiter with no negative effects.

If your tires are larger then it will go faster, obviously.

6" lift 23" tires.

From the reading I was doing, I was under the impression I might be able to squeeze 25ish+ out of it with the zip tie mod but I never got that far. I was trying zip ties slowly and going around 1 more "rib" of the spring each time. When I got to all but 2 ribs zip tied, it got really loud (my cab doesn't help the loudness) and rattled a lot under the seat, despite it hitting 23 (MAX) a couple times.

Thats when I backed it down, I think I have all but 3 "ribs" of the spring zip tied, and it sounds much better, not revved as high, no rattling, and hits 20-21 consistently.

I definitely never had it cut out (which is from my understanding what the rev limiter with make it do), but it just got too loud for my liking inside the cab. maybe see how it sounds with the doors off. Plus I also read you shouldn't zip tie the whole spring solid anyways because it wears out your cables faster.

I will try to check out the wiring for the light, but I would find it odd it only shorted out when I had the cart floored. But maybe it was just enough vibration to make it happen
Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It’s possible if it was over revving or the oil was cavitating, it could cause it. Regardless if your engine was getting noticeably louder and rattling, it’s wise to back it off to where it’s smooth and happy. If the oil light stays out under normal conditions, I personally wouldn’t really worry about it or put too much thought into it. At least you know the light works

FWIW my carryall would cruise happy at around 25mph with 25” tires. So I think you’re right about where you should be from the sounds of it.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It’s possible if it was over revving or the oil was cavitating, it could cause it. Regardless if your engine was getting noticeably louder and rattling, it’s wise to back it off to where it’s smooth and happy. If the oil light stays out under normal conditions, I personally wouldn’t really worry about it or put too much thought into it. At least you know the light works

FWIW my carryall would cruise happy at around 25mph with 25” tires. So I think you’re right about where you should be from the sounds of it.
yeah it doesn't rattle at 21, sounds healthy, ill probably keep running it and keep my eye on the light for now. I have been running it like this for a couple days now and this is the first i've noticed the light. I probably put on 10 miles a day, and this is only day 3 of having it adjusted where its at.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You should be fine

The FE motors are pretty easy to identify when they are being over revved. Get loud fast. And they’ll still run like that for a good while even, until the CB weight has a party inside the motor and ruins the fun but it’s pretty easy, as long as she’s not screaming (and you’ll know when it is) it’ll be fine :)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You should be fine

The FE motors are pretty easy to identify when they are being over revved. Get loud fast. And they’ll still run like that for a good while even, until the CB weight has a party inside the motor and ruins the fun but it’s pretty easy, as long as she’s not screaming (and you’ll know when it is) it’ll be fine :)
I originally thought the oil light was an oil pressure light, not an oil level light. thats what had me worried
Old 04-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

My 290 the light would come on often if I had it opened up for a period of time. My engine is at quite an angle with the lift kit, and i know it had plenty of oil in it so i am pretty sure it was just because the oil was slinging around so much at the high RPM.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car