lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
Dustanltye
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G22E Range Question.

Ok Golf Cart geniuses! I need some advice. I just bought my first electric golf cart. It's a 2005 Yamaha G22E. It has a 10hp Admiral motor installed as well as a Navitas TSX 3.0 controller. It's on 22inch wheels and the batteries were new at the end of 2019. Ill attach pictures of everything. My question is I'm only getting 4 to 8 miles of range. Is this normal? It's fast and will run as fast as 25mph. Is there anything I can do to get more range? Would buying the on the fly programmer and dropping the speed help? Any tips and help appreciated. Thanks.
Dustanltye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Dustanltye
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G22E Range Question.

Here is pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210331_192309.jpg (193.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210331_171546.jpg (198.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210331_171532.jpg (228.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210331_171700.jpg (221.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210331_171601.jpg (192.0 KB, 0 views)
Dustanltye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Buying a better quality battery would help. Pushing a car on those tires at that speed doesn't come easy.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #4
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Where did you get those seats?!!! I want those.
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Nice cart

I had a similar setup in a club car a couple years ago. Admiral motor, alltrax, HD everything else. It would run close to 30mph and nearly lift the front 25” tires off the ground. Depending on how hard I drove it, 10-12 miles was about the max.

Crown batteries are great. Don’t know why someone would say “get better batteries” ..... I’d say they’re every bit as equal with Trojan or US battery.

Here’s the big question though.... charge the cart fully until the charger shuts off. Let it sit at least 12 hours. What is the voltage reading of the pack?

When you take it out and drive it, how low does the voltage drop under load? With that setup going full pedal up a hill or from a stop I wouldn’t be surprised to see it dip to mid 40’s right out of the box.

After about a 4-5 mile drive, let it sit for 5 minutes and take a voltage reading again. Then let it sit for a half hour and take the voltage again. See what it recovers and stabilizes to.

You have to keep in mind, it’s not a stock cart. A stock cart should get 20+ miles on a charge. But, bigger tires create load that takes some of that away. Bigger controller allows more juice to flow which drops the range also. Bigger 10 hp motor takes even more away. So while you’ve gained a lot of performance and looks over stock, the trade off is the range will suffer because there is a greater load/demand on the batteries.

Think of it like a flashlight. A low power flashlight will last months on a battery. But if you have one of the 1000+ lumen flashlights that same charge would get you a couple hours at most.

All that said, before jumping to the conclusion that either something is wrong, or that “that’s just how it is” get some voltage readings and we can see how the pack really is performing.

And dropping the top speed wouldn’t do much. Once it’s up to speed it doesn’t take a lot to maintain that speed. It’s the torque/current involved in getting TO speed that makes the difference.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Nice cart

Crown batteries are great. Don’t know why someone would say “get better batteries” ..... I’d say they’re every bit as equal with Trojan or US battery.
Crown reps are the first one to tell you that they are not equal. Well maybe equal to a US battery...

The problem today is with supply. You may have to take what you can get.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
M2736185
Not Yet Wild

Geeze maybe that’s my problem. Almost regret selling my gas and getting an electric. My G19 or 22 with an alltrax dcx controller stock motor 6 inch lift and 23 inch all terrains is getting about 8 miles. Starts slowing down at 6 miles. Thought it could have been the batteries but they are all reading around 8.3. That range is pretty bad
M2736185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Time for a big AH lithium upgrade......
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
M2736185
Not Yet Wild

Lithium is what 2 grand ?
M2736185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2736185 View Post
Lithium is what 2 grand ?
Are they all reading around 8.3 fresh off the charger? Charge it until the charger shuts off. Then let it sit 12 hours and list off individual battery voltages and total voltage of the pack.

8.3v each is pretty much dead. That’s 49.8v which is around 75% state of charge. If that’s totally charged, then your range is going to suck. I had a club car with similar modifications... admiral motor, alltrax, and all the supporting stuff. Cart was on 25” tires and did close to 30mph. With that setup I’d average around 15 miles on a charge on 2+ year old batteries no problem.

If your batteries take a full charge and are under 50v then there’s a problem, either with the batteries or the charger is not fully charging them.

And FWIW the lithium batteries are expensive, but worth every penny. With a 100aH capacity I don’t see any reason you couldn’t get 30+ miles on a charge. And the cart will be faster and torquier than before due to less weight, higher voltage, and less voltage “sag” under load. I’ve recently switched my cart to lithium and can’t ever see owning a lead acid cart again. I was a gas guy until i had this cart.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha