lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default CV Tech 06 vs Comet 780R, worth waiting?

As some have probably seen, Vegas Carts is out of stock on the CV Tech clutches. I will be installing a HF 670cc in an ‘05 Txt with 295 mci engine. They are substituting the 780R currently. I know this is the standard for clubs clubs because of room. I am under the impression the CV Tech is a much better clutch, but I know Comet has been in the game for awhile also. I don’t have plans to install for another 4 weeks so I need to make moves in the next 3 weeks. would it be worth it for me to wait and see if the Cv Tech to comes back in?

Let me know which of these you have and what you like/dislike and your opinion of which one to go with
PharmGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: CV Tech 06 vs Comet 780R, worth waiting?

I see on big block gas carts on facebook a member has a new CV tech 06 for sale for $225
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I see on big block gas carts on facebook a member has a new CV tech 06 for sale for $225
Thanks, I've found one elsewhere for $200 shipped as well. Purchasing all of the other core parts from Vegas except the clutch is going to cost right at $620 + tax so it'll only be $20 more. (not including the tach which I'm going to get as well).

I see you have a Comet, how do you like it. Any issues?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

No issues at all. I really like the easy of tuning the 780. The CV tech wasn't at VC in 2014 when I did my engine swap and even if it was best info says the S/G pulley and the CVtech would be too wide for the crank end. VC says the CVtech can handle greater torque than the 780. Even if I switched to a 670 at this point I would probably stick with the 780 and the S/G pulley so I could add a mini denso alternator to the somewhat weak charging system of the HF 670.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have a 780 on my 670, works perfectly. Never used a CV Tech 06. I've used the 780 on all of my big block builds with no issues. Just make sure its a genuine Comet, as the China copies are not high quality. Vegas uses the Genuine Comet so you should be good.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
No issues at all. I really like the easy of tuning the 780. The CV tech wasn't at VC in 2014 when I did my engine swap and even if it was best info says the S/G pulley and the CVtech would be too wide for the crank end. VC says the CVtech can handle greater torque than the 780. Even if I switched to a 670 at this point I would probably stick with the 780 and the S/G pulley so I could add a mini denso alternator to the somewhat weak charging system of the HF 670.
Good point about the predator charging system, I had forgot how weak it was.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:09 PM   #7
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I have a 780 on my 670, works perfectly. Never used a CV Tech 06. I've used the 780 on all of my big block builds with no issues. Just make sure its a genuine Comet, as the China copies are not high quality. Vegas uses the Genuine Comet so you should be good.
Appreciate the input, I know you've had a lot of experience installing big blocks.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGuy85 View Post
Good point about the predator charging system, I had forgot how weak it was.
If you're just charging your battery and only using the battery to run a couple lights and your starter, the 670 charging system is ok. The biggest problem I've seen is it doesn't charge well at low rpm. The rpm has to be above 2000 before the voltage comes up. At 2500 rpm it's at 14.5 vdc on mine. Mine needs a good overnight trickle every couple weeks. Not ideal, but doable. If I used it more than once a week it would not need a top off charge. Keep that in mind. My Vanguard charging system was much much better for sure. But the 670 is not horrible.

If you want to run more accessories, or just don't want to worry about charging, get the alternator kit. With a good alternator, they charge at 13.8 vdc at 1000 rpm. So you can sit and idle and charge up the battery.

Remember, the recipe for a good electrical system: A good battery, high quality cables, larger gauge cables (4g min), good solid connections grease your terminals.....good to go!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see the E Bay seller has more than 10 of the CV tech 06 clutches for sale @ $200. I wonder if they are set up differently than the VC units ?
Old 04-04-2021, 12:17 AM   #10
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I see the E Bay seller has more than 10 of the CV tech 06 clutches for sale @ $200. I wonder if they are set up differently than the VC units ?
Well I just ordered one this week and got it today. Looks good and I believe it’s legit. No manual or key with it. Now my predator has a key but it seems like it might be slightly too tall. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Tags
780, clutch, comet, cvtech
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!