lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
keith_burns
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question 2016 Yamaha G29(Drive) is slow

I have a 2016 Yamaha G29 that I would like to make go faster, it doesn't do too bad and runs just fine. I would just like it to go a bit faster... I was looking at the Navitas 440 amp controller and was wondering if anyone had gotten one of these and they made any sort of speed upgrade for them. Or does anyone else have any suggestions on how to upgrade the speed of their carts that won't cost me a ton?

Thanks in advance!
keith_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
limaynard
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 Yamaha G29(Drive) is slow

Yes, I fitted it with everything else stock.

It took the cart from around 23kph (14mph) to around 35kph (22mph). I also addedd 20 inch tyres on 14 inch rims.

This was on the flat but it was a lot slower up hill.

I then upgraded the solenoid, wires and (yesterday) the motor. I'm running that in but I would expect at least 40kph (25mph) plus a lot more torque.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.jpg (231.2 KB, 0 views)
limaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The local yamaha dealer can speed it up to 19mph (with stock 18" tires), for something between $100-200. If you put a aftermarket controller to gain speed (will only get you about 22-23mph), it will wear out the stock motor faster than normal.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
keith_burns
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What can the Local Yamaha Dealer do that a regular person can't do or get access to? Just curious.

Thanks in Advance
keith_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

We as Yamaha dealers have access to the speed codes for controllers...which you cannot get direct from Yamaha unless you are a dealer...also you don't have the programming tools to input the speed code...Also if you upgrade to the 10" wheels/tires that come with the new Yamaha Drive 2's(We sell them as take-offs at a reduced price when we put lifts on carts and you won't need to lift yours for them to fit), you will likely get 20 MPH with the speed code added...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you buy an aftermarket controller, you can set your speed yourself. Navitas or Alltrax. I am using Alltrax.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
nelly1052
Getting Wild

I installed the Alltrax 400 amp controller and solenoid in my Drive 2. It went from 11mph to 22 mph. You can program it with your laptop computer. I'm happy. Contacted Alltrax direct. They were very helpful and told me who to call for best price.
nelly1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Best price for Alltrax is not buying direct. You need to search out the dealers. I think I got my last one from Amazon. Their help desk is very good - I have used them several times to fine tune things like Field maps. I like having control of my parameters - without having to pay a dealer to change the FW to allow more speed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
Mrtosh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
We as Yamaha dealers have access to the speed codes for controllers...which you cannot get direct from Yamaha unless you are a dealer...also you don't have the programming tools to input the speed code...Also if you upgrade to the 10" wheels/tires that come with the new Yamaha Drive 2's(We sell them as take-offs at a reduced price when we put lifts on carts and you won't need to lift yours for them to fit), you will likely get 20 MPH with the speed code added...
Will the tune cause the motor to wear out faster or run hotter? I'm assuming it does next to nothing for added torque, just top end.
Mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #10
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It will wear the brushes in the motor down a bit faster, but that is a weak point on the Yamaha Drives unfortunately...I replace motor brushes as often as I do battery jobs nowadays...You can replace the brushes fairly cheap though...and you are correct does nothing for torque, just gets it up to 19 MPH...We charge $150 for the speed code installed here and I believe that's about average...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, slow, speed, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha