lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #1
sschupan
Not Yet Wild

Default Manco swap from 212 to 420 help needed

New to the forum and could use some advice.

Just bought a manco 706 2 seater. It had a 212 engine on it and being a 400# kart it was struggling with me and my son going up hills. Last night the hackjob the previous owner did on the engine mount broke and did some havoc. Good news is now I have a excuse to upgrade it how I want. I want to put the 420 engine in it but my lack of experience is which torq converter, chain, sprocket I want or need? Any help would be appreciated. We have hilly property if that makes a difference. This manco has the hex live axle on it. Thank you in advance!
sschupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Manco swap from 212 to 420 help needed

Does it have a torq-a-verter on it now? Usually those are only good for up to like 10hp or so. I think you'll need something better. The other issue with a go kart drive system in the belt size, usually 3/4". The belt will usually slip pretty badly with lots of weight on them or during good hill climbs. A larger belt setup like in a golf cart will get the job done, they are usually 1 3/16".

Most golf cart installs with the 420/Clone engine you'll see a Comet 780 primary clutch with a stock golf cart secondary clutch. That setup is good to go for that engine. Not sure how you'd make that work in a go kart though. The Predator 420 is a 1" size straight crank shaft.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Manco swap from 212 to 420 help needed

Some people use the 40 series comet but I have no experience with it. You can toss a kart clutch on it and it will work, the 420 will have way more torque, but a cvt of some kind will work far better especially for hills. The 780 and matching secondary would be best, the 40 series is smaller and less range of gearing iirc but probably cheaper. Some 420 have a rev limit at 4K now some do not. If not you can put HD springs in and run up to 5K rpm long as you don't keep it there very long, and do away with the governor. The 420 will have way way more power than the 212. I'm not sure how your cart is setup, you may have to make a shaft/mount/jackshaft for the secondary to mount on, otherwise just a matter of mounting the engine and so on. A golfcart mounts the secondary on the transmission but I assume you don't have that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps