lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Predator 670 - open box deal

The harbor freight near me has a open box 670 still on the wood shipping mount for $557. Five day return policy only no extended warranty offered but Price seems almost too good to pass up what do you think
PharmGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Predator 670 - open box deal

If you are looking for a Predator 670, buy it, take it home, put oil and gas in, and start it up. You can start and run it right there on the plywood it is bolted to. Any observable damage? If it doesn't run, you can simply return it. Did they say why it was unboxed? A return maybe? Maybe someone bought it, forgot to put oil in before they test ran it, and brought it back for exchange or refund? Lot of unknowns, but parts are available for them if it quits. Maybe offer them $400 and see if they take it.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the sound advice. I went Thursday and it was $695; asked and they said it was most likely a return. I didn’t see any visible signs of damage (no cracks). I called Saturday and asked if they would do better, they said policy is to mark down open box every 14 days an additional 10-20%. Stopped by on my way home from class and it was marked to the current price. Think I’ll swing by tomorrow and see if it’s still available and try for an additional 10+%off and test it by the weekend.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Smell the fuel line at the filter...see if it had gas in it. Open the oil dip stick. If it doesn't smell like it had gas in it, I wouldn't expect to see any oil as they are shipped with little to no oil in them. Gas would be the one I would be looking for...it should be clean. if it had gas in it, and there is no oil, they didn't read the instructions...got excited and ran it without oil. If it smells like gas, and has no oil, I can't imagine the store would have removed the oil. It is also possible the prior owner flubbed up, then put oil in to make sure they could get their refund...there are sneaky people out there, so even the check isn't a guarantee, but I would hope for gas free fuel line, and if that is the case, you should be good to go.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I read somewhere that engines often are tested and run at the factory, so the gasoline smell test wouldn't apply. All engines are lubed at the factory, so I would expect to see some oil in the crank when new, and the oil will be clean. Every new engine I've purchased was that way, with the exception of the
vc440 because it was a kit and not assembled.

Too many variables with a returned engine. For a couple hundred bucks savings, almost no warranty, it's not worth the risk IMO. If it was half price? Maybe. If you wait til they have the coupon again you'll see that engine for $659 or $699 brand new with full warranty. Just my 2 cents.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I read somewhere that engines often are tested and run at the factory, so the gasoline smell test wouldn't apply. All engines are lubed at the factory, so I would expect to see some oil in the crank when new, and the oil will be clean. Every new engine I've purchased was that way, with the exception of the
vc440 because it was a kit and not assembled.

Too many variables with a returned engine. For a couple hundred bucks savings, almost no warranty, it's not worth the risk IMO. If it was half price? Maybe. If you wait til they have the coupon again you'll see that engine for $659 or $699 brand new with full warranty. Just my 2 cents.
Generally, I agree with you...the couple hundred bucks for the factory warranty provides some warm and fuzzy...I did say offer $400. Sounds like it would be a wait and see for that number. If it dies, any savings is immediately out the window in new parts, gaskets, and time.

The one I bought new in a box delivered to my driveway was gas free. The filter that the fuel line attaches to was dry. Actually looked like it rolled around the ship and truck on the way to my house from China based on the condition of the box, but it was dry in there. I would guess they test run them without all the periphery, then replace carb, add new hoses, filters, etc., if they test run them at all. Considering the break in requirements on them, I'm guessing they may spin them over, check for spark, vacuum, etc., but not fire em up. I can't imagine them shipping them with gas in the carb and no means of containing it. There certainly were no plugs on the lines. If there is fuel dripping out, it was run by the customer, and there may be a reason why it was returned. I may be wrong though. I agree...there will be some oil in the case...but not enough to flow out if the crank case was full after the previous customer filled it, hopefully before the ran it. Just opinions though, which is what the OP asked for.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate your input.

I have basic knowledge and mechanical skills, anything bolt on is not a problem. I could change out a head gasket or swap an engine but I don't trust myself enough to do a rebuild.

While a good deal would be nice; I definitely don't want to be pennywise pound foolish.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
The one I bought new in a box delivered to my driveway was gas free. The filter that the fuel line attaches to was dry. Actually looked like it rolled around the ship and truck on the way to my house from China based on the condition of the box, but it was dry in there. I would guess they test run them without all the periphery, then replace carb, add new hoses, filters, etc., if they test run them at all. Very good point, I'm sure you're right, if they test run them they likely use "test carbs etc".
So I retract my "gas smell test" comment.

If there is fuel dripping out, it was run by the customer, and there may be a reason why it was returned. Totally agree.

Please don't take my comments as a poke at you at all, totally wasn't thinking that way. Just spewing data You seem legit and like you know stuff. It's all good.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
PharmGuy85
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: My waiting paid off. Harbor Freight marks down their open box deals every 14 days, so I went this morning got it for $445. Opened up a harbor freight credit card for an extra 10% off so $430 tax included.
Also found out that the guy who originally purchased never started it because he couldn’t get the mounting holes to line up and the crank wasn’t the right size. Check the oil from the dipstick and it’s bone dry and doesn’t smell like gas at the filter.
I’ll be testing it the next 5 days to make sure it’s all good
Old 03-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Looks like you got a Deal
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!