lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #21
Redmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon coming back from the dead

I did just drop my rear axle last week and disconnected the motor from it. I didn't see any openings like the one you described. Try uploading a photo to see what you ran into. Did you have oil in your motor casing?

Suck to hear about the rust i've had my share of rust to deal with on other projects. This cart was very well taken care of and had work done to it in the past. Ive had to change out all the tie rod ends, shocks, and rack & rod assembly. I also have to change out my rear axle for the type of mods i'm going for. I have that extra rear axle but I wouldn't recommend it on your cart being that they don't make upgraded motors for it.
Redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #22
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Redmonster. If you just took your motor off your rear end, is there any chance it's still off and I could get a picture of that rear end surface that mounts up to the back of the motor? I haven't been able to confirm with anyone what this motor to rear end surface looks like because our perpendicular motors are so old and rare.
I'd swap to a more modern parallel motor setup if I could find one locally.

Here's what mine looked like when I first took it off. I should have taken more pictures once I cleaned it up but at that point I was thinking I wasn't going to find anyone who had a rear end like this.
I did have rear end oil in the motor, a lot of it. Which made me think this square hole was broken and wasn't supposed to be there but it's a very clean square hole which made me think it was intentional and the spring loaded rubber seal around the motor shaft just failed. Seems like if oil was supposed to be in this area others would have had this problem though.....I couldn't find any reports of oil in a motor.
If yours shows no hole like this I'm really in trouble and need to find a new rear end before I put this all back together. I'm ready to start painting and putting back together, my kids or itching for this in the spring so any help on what your rear end looks like would be much appreciated :)
Red square shows the hole in the rear end motor mounting area. It's at about 9oclock so the oil wouldn't be rushing into this area all the time. At the bottom of the hole is a flat head screwdriver poking into the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: png CART REAR DIFF HOLE.png (659.1 KB, 0 views)
JB in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #23
Redmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey JB that hole is supposed to be there. Its used to lubricate your motor rod (or whatever the technical name for it is). I was confused because I thought you had a hole in your motor and oil got into the rear casing where the coils are (that would be bad.

If you don't need to replace the rear axle like I do I would just install the stock one you have and let the kids have some fun

Good luck
Old 04-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #24
JB in PA
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the verification! It seemed like a pretty intentionally square hole but since I did have oil in my motor I was worried.

I had a lot of oil IN my motor, like all around the armature etc and the rear end was dry...well oily but no oil to speak of.

I assume the rubber seat that goes around the motor shaft failed, that's the only way I can see that oil gets into the motor so it's been changed...we'll see how it goes I guess! The motor and rear end are about the only things left of this 84' which seems weird but as you know, changing out this motor isn't easy.
Thanks so much for verifying that hole is supposed to be there, I've been stressing over it!
JB in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #25
Hi Proof Products
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry haven’t posted in some time. Ended up having to replace most of the tie rods because of wear. I don’t think anyone ever greased this machine. I can’t answer the question about the tires but I’m going to place the fenders to see what things look like and I’ll report back. Right now I’m heavy into wiring a SR ALLTRAX controller coupled with a SW202 reversing contactor. Here is a picture before the wiring started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE230952-F116-433D-89E5-862911B34EDA.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
Hi Proof Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #26
Hi Proof Products
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

More pictures
Old 04-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #27
Hi Proof Products
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

For those guys that asked about wheel rub I got a chance to test fit the rear fenders this morning and I see no issues there. That said when fitting the front cowl it will need cut. I grew up in the HVAC industry and as such know how to work tin snips. We’ll see how that plays out
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #28
Hi Proof Products
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here’s what I did to eliminate wheel rub, before and after pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBFA62CC-A37B-40CF-AE24-FF6ED8B4C93B.jpg (234.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D3BFB9D6-09E5-4023-8E1B-B959FD3AE0BB.jpg (217.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #29
Redmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking good!!! I like what you did with the frame and fenders looks sharp! Keep its going!!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #30
brushdoll
Not Yet Wild

I'm working on an 83 marathon right now. Mario kart themed :P
brushdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO