lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Timing the HD cart

I hope to attach a photo of my timing tool that makes timing the HD cart easier and understandable. The timing stop as I call it simply stops the piston 25 degrees before TDC.
The procedure is: remove the spark plug, set the points to .025 or factory specs, turn the crank to near BDC, insert the timing tool, turn the crank clockwise till the piston stops (gently), turn the point plate to where the points just start to open, turn the crank to BDC and past counterclockwise till the piston stops, the points should just began to open at the same place as the other direction, if not adjust the point plate where the points open the same place in forward and reverse, recheck the point setting and reset to specs if necessary.
The timing tool:
use an old spark plug and remove the porcelain center, drill a through hole if necessary, use a bolt or rod and push it through the plug and fix the rod or ? to measure 1 5/8 inch from the plug seat to the end of the rod. (plug seat in the head to end of rod) This will give you 25 Degrees BTC forward and reverse. I know that is not very clear but it is the best I can do.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Timing the HD cart

I will try to upload the Photo again! I had a hard tome finding the photo and remembering how to upload it. I think I have it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC1802.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Very nice, tew45.
Similar to the tool Harley used, "back in the day"
https://buggiesgonewild.com/attachme...1&d=1609268517
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3218.JPG (200.0 KB, 0 views)
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Yes it is. I didn't know Harley had a factory tool. I used an adjustable like that one when I worked on 2 cycle motorcycles and Triumph and BSA machines. The tool takes a lot of mystery out of the HD cart once the dual setting is understood. Thanks for the information!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson