lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #11
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV RoyPow Conversion

I have 500 amp controller and use in woods (hills, muddy creeks( and have never had it shut off.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
Lightning8U
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I have 500 amp controller and use in woods (hills, muddy creeks( and have never had it shut off.
Similarly, I have run the S5156 and S51105 with 500 and 600 amp controllers with no issues unless you are covering steep terrain or very heavy loads (think limo carts with 4+ adults). On mostly even terrain, or around the neighborhood, even 500-600 amp controllers are perfectly fine IMO.
Lightning8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Enjoying this thread. Yesterday I decided to pull the trigger on the ROYPOW 56aH pack for my 2017 EZGO TXT. Stock batteries would load to 50.4V and then after 2 miles of flat neighborhood terrain drop to 50% SOC at 48.4V. Time to replace.

Using STM Carts in Ocala to do the conversion as I'd rather have experience over lower cost. I'll let you know how it goes. For reference my cart has already been flashed into freedom mode and top speed currently has been 18 mph on flats... no lift, no big tires.
WKUWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
trevorg7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
Have you had any issues with cutout at high loads (acceleration, hills, etc.)? I’m considering upgrading my Leaf setup as they are near end of life and I’m looking for more range. The reason I ask is that Roypow shows on their website that max discharge rate for that model is 200A for 10s. My RXV with the stock controller can draw up to 225A for brief periods and I’m sure that will only increase if I upgrade the controller eventually. The S51105P on the other hand advertises a max discharge rate of 315A for 30s which seems better suited to modified carts, although it’s physically bigger so would have to check fit. Appreciate the feedback.
Hi there - I have not had any issues like that. Neither on hills nor accelerating up them. I have a Curtis controller but not sure the amps. Regarding range, the longest test so far was driving to the course (4 miles round trip) and playing 18 holes (call that 7 miles) 10 days ago, not charging the cart all last week, playing 18 holes/same drive this past weekend and SOC meter was at 5 bars or roughly 1/2 discharged after the 22+ miles.

Hope this helps.
trevorg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
bjt135
Not Yet Wild

do you think the 160AH battery would fit?

What I can find is the 105AH is 18.11" long and the 160AH is 31.5" long so there would need to be almost 13.5" towards the drivers side.
bjt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #16
Lightning8U
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt135 View Post
do you think the 160AH battery would fit?

What I can find is the 105AH is 18.11" long and the 160AH is 31.5" long so there would need to be almost 13.5" towards the drivers side.
I do not believe the 160AH will fit in an RXV without substantial modification. I have installed several and the 160AH are a bit difficult to mount in any cart--they are MASSIVE!
Lightning8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #17
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning8U View Post
I do not believe the 160AH will fit in an RXV without substantial modification. I have installed several and the 160AH are a bit difficult to mount in any cart--they are MASSIVE!
I agree, easy for > 2008.5 Precedent and Yamaha G29, EZGO is tough due to frame and tub mount. I'd recommend no 160 for EZGO, stick with the 105P, a little less range but better install overall with room for on board charger, converter and fuse panel on driver side area. 2 cents worth
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
trevorg7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorg7 View Post
I pulled the trigger last week and converted my RXV from lead acid to lithium. I've been reading, following threads here for about 6 months and decided on the RoyPow S51105.

My 2016 RXV 48v was running 4 Trojan 12v T-1275’s and is generally stock minus high speed tuning to the Curtis AC Controller, 12 inch wheels w/215/50 tires. Primary use is golf, 2 mile drive to the course on flat pavement, play 18+, 5 days a week, then 2 miles home. Accessories: 12v wetsounds soundbar (run through a voltage reducer), 48v street legal LED light kit and usb charger. With this set up I would run between 21-23 MPH on flat pavement with 2 people and golf bags: using Waze to measure speed.

Install took just under 2 hours, pictures below.

Observations so far:
  • Per the Trojan spec sheet, I've reduced weight by 250#
  • Same flat ground trip to golf course, speed ran between 22-25 MPH. I thought this might be higher but not disappointed. This was immediately after install with 4 of 10 bars on the SOC meter.
  • Biggest performance change is low/mid-range torque and acceleration. It is very noticeable between 0-15 MPH.
  • Made the same drive and played 18 the day after install, SOC meter started fully charged and had dropped 2 bars upon arriving home.
  • Rapid charger charged from 4 bars to 10 within 3 hours.
Hey all - I wanted to post a 3 month update. Since install I've played about 40 rounds of golf; so my standard 4 mile round trip + 8 miles of golf. Each time the SOC meter dropped 2 bars. I did play 36 one day recently and upon returning home the SOC had dropped 4 bars. All those include running the Wetsounds speaker while playing and a few running lights to get home.

Still pleased, no other issues to report.

Trevor
trevorg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #19
bdserv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My concern with any drop in replacement for the RXV is how they handle a BMS shutdown. As far as I can tell, they all just disconnect the pack, and that not only will lock the brake but it can also corrupt the controller as described in other threads.

Anyone have additional insight or information on this?
bdserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
mbrown55
Getting Wild

I went dual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCB4C690-BB0D-4197-8604-644860CF7B5D.jpg (171.9 KB, 0 views)
mbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO