lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default Welder

i am looking to buy my first welder,
and having no kind of experience in this field, i thought i would ask a few questions, I can't afford a Lincoln and I cant afford a Hobart, but my good friend who is an off shore welder, recommended a harbor freight, he said the hundred dollar ones were junk, this is the one he suggested, titanium 170 mig welder, he says it's not really a professional level, but is a great entry level, and with additional attachments it can weld aluminum.

he says that this will be good for me, because it has suggested settings on the panel door,

i have no welding experience of any kind, so imput is definitely welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201127-052054_Chrome.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Welder

I think your buddy is right.

I'm not a welder, but I can weld. My only actual training was in high school, and two different aircraft maintenance schools. We learned stick, and gas.

I devoured videos from this place. https://www.youtube.com/user/Welddotcom

They have greatly improved my welding ability, and technique. Because of them, I'm willing to weld projects for friends, and neighbors.

I have been able to weld my skid steer buckets, and I built a log splitter attachment for the skid steer that I am very proud of. I even t
taught myself how to weld aluminum I highly recommend that channel.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I got this machine this year for portable welding. I wanted 110v so I could easily use it around the ranch for gate, barn, and corrals. It is pretty good.

Of course there is a lot of spatter associated with gasless welding. Get yourself some anti spatter spray to keep spatter from sticking to the work area.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Thanks Scotty,
that's the information I was looking for, I know its not the rolls royce......
But i think it will get the job done.........
Old 11-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is a top notch utility welder. I bought it after borrowing a friends 180 model .. and thinking I wanted a little more. This could easily be your only welder.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is a top notch utility welder. I bought it after borrowing a friends. This could easily be your only welder unless you were interested in doing a lot of shop welding. Then you would want a gas bottle mig type welder.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

The welder will be used for things around the shop, like welding a perch back on to the axle.....
It's not like I'm going to build a 4-link rear suspension on my club car,( okay maybe down the road when I get better LOL)
I just want something that I can use to repair things when I break them,
Old 11-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I were to get a multi use welder, it would have a plasma cutter. I go through a ton of side angle grinder cutoff wheels...looking to get a 3 in one, plasma/tig/stick. Trying to find one I can do aluminum welding with though, so haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have a lincoln tombstone stick welder
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
Murby
Gone Wild

I have been building industrial machinery for 30 years and am quite the accomplished welder.

I've run a variety of welding machines from cheap imports to Lincoln, Miller and Hobart. I've run gas and gasless, 3phase and single phase. I've run the newer SCR's and the older transformer styles.

If I were you, I would purchase a used Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart that is a decade or so old.
You probably won't find the right deal right away. Search Craigslist, Ebay and Facebook marketplaces. Take your time and find a unit that was used at home by a husband who grew old or died or something.

Gasless welders are useless.. don't even think about it. Every condition must be perfect for them to create a decent weld. Even the wire must be in perfect shape, for if it sits in a humid garage and gets a little oxidized, it won't weld right.

You want a Hobart, Miller, or a Lincoln welder with an argon/co2 tank, and then pick up a roll of 0.030" ER70 S6 wire for it and a quality float-ball style regulator for the tank.

Buy once, Cry once. You should be able to get a nice used welder for $500 to $800 that will last you the rest of your life.

I use a Millermatic 251.. have had it for almost 20 years and I have built everything from 2500 gallon 1/4 inch thick plate steel chemical tanks to welding pipe nipples to the sides of 55 gallon drums.

People who don't know better and buy those little HF welders will usually not recognize them as being garbage because of their lack of experience.

HF might sell a decent welder, I don't know.. but its been my experience that most HF stuff doesn't last long. I have one of their chainsaw sharpeners that is absolutely fantastic.. it has sharpened over 100 chains and brings them back to like-new condition.. So I know some of their stuff works.. but most is crap.

And for your information, I see miller and lincoln welders pop up on craigslist several times per year for really good prices.. so good, I've though of purchasing a backup for myself.

Here you go... Houston: Wait for a better deal or pick up one of these. 140 is a bit small, I'd suggest 175 or larger.. and make sure you learn what a "Duty Cycle" means and pay attention to it.
https://houston.craigslist.org/tls/d...225886832.html
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #10
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure how far this would be for you to go but here is a used Lincoln for $250 in Mt. Vernon.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop