Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

Default Taylor Dunn 1248 Tow Cart

The campus I work for has an old T/D cart that has been used at our airfield to pull airplanes around the runway for a few decades. It first came on my radar when they told me it wasn't in an operational condition anymore so I brought it to my shop, replaced a few wires, all the batteries, put new material on the seats, and then put a fresh coat of paint on it. After using it for a year, they told me they were wanting to get a newer golf cart, and wanted to get rid of this cart. There's no way I was going to let this one go, so I had it transferred to my shop and the work began. Everything we have done to it since then has been over a 2 year period because I was doing little things here and there as I could fit it in my schedule. I have a lot of photos, so I'll spread them out over several posts, and I'll probably update over a few days as not to blow up your feed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow Cart 1 .jpg (123.0 KB, 0 views)
Jeremy-Exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Taylor Dunn 1248 Tow Cart

The first thing I did when I got it in the shop was take plenty of pictures of the wiring setup, mark wire locations with zip ties, and then pull everything out. If it wasn't steering, brakes, frame, or suspension - it got pulled out. Then we got to work with what we wanted it to become, and what changes would need to be made. At the time, we were pulling golf carts and mowers back to the shop with straps, and a driver on the cart being pulled working the brakes and steering. It wasn't the safest way, nor did it look that great and we wanted to change that.

Once all the wiring was out of the way, I was able to get in there, really clean the chassis up, and repaint it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow Cart 3.jpg (208.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tow Cart 4.jpg (153.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy-Exotic View Post
After using it for a year, they told me they were wanting to get a newer golf cart, and wanted to get rid of this cart.
Hopefully they did not get a "golf cart" to tow the planes around. The Taylor Dunn's are heavy duty industrial carts ... it sounds like you have a good application for this one. Nicely done
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Hopefully they did not get a "golf cart" to tow the planes around. The Taylor Dunn's are heavy duty industrial carts ... it sounds like you have a good application for this one. Nicely done
They absolutely got a standard Club Car to haul the planes around

Just wait till you see the transformation of this cart. It's come out great!
Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
They absolutely got a standard Club Car to haul the planes around
How is the Club Car working for towing planes? How heavy are the planes?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

The planes are the small two seater ones. I'm not sure how heavy they are. I haven't heard of any issues, but then again I haven't checked in for about the past year. They're across town so it's easy for them to be out of sight/out of mind. I'm kinda curious now that you bring it up - I may have to go check in with them.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

My mechanic that enjoys metal fab really got to work with design once we had it stripped down. I found a spare winch to use, and we worked together on where to locate it and how to install it. Then he got to work fabricating a boom and stinger. The boom runs the cable out past the end of the cart, and then the cable is used to lift the stinger up and down. The stinger is width adjustable for the different types of carts and mowers it will haul (carryall II - 9, club car golf course carts, john deere gators, Hustler X-Ones).

Even with that fanciness, now the challenge was not doing wheelies. The batteries are located behind the rear axle, and leverage isn't in our favor. So, he made new battery boxes in front of the axle, and a concrete filled front bumper to help offset the weight. The cart also had a lot of holes in the body from different things over the years, so he got to work on plugging all the excess holes.

At this point, I'm starting to think about the skinny tires this thing uses, so we both start looking around for a 5 lug wide rim that will fit in that area. We were able to find such a wheel at a local golf cart dealer, but it doesn't fit over the brake drum.

While my metal guy is working on the fabrication, I'm starting to plot out upgrading all the current lights and installing new flashing lights as well as trying to figure out a new paint scheme. This is going to be our shop cart, so it's gotta be an attention grabber.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Funny enough, just today we were discussing turning a Jacobson Hauler into a tow vehicle. Working on a design to use the hydraulics of the bed to do the lifting.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

Maybe weld an extension onto the hydraulics that acts like a stinger, and use the hydraulics to lift up and down? Or, shoot some decent forks off the back end and do a frame lift from the side when grabbing carts. Again, tied into the hydraulic frame. If you really wanna get fancy, make it so they can fold up when not in use.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
mtiger10
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The planes are the small two seater ones. I'm not sure how heavy they are. I haven't heard of any issues, but then again I haven't checked in for about the past year. They're across town so it's easy for them to be out of sight/out of mind. I'm kinda curious now that you bring it up - I may have to go check in with them.
I'll be waiting to hear how that Club Car handled the planes!! I'm pondering a purchase of CC Precedent right now
mtiger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration