lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

Smile Lithium Conversion '88 Western Model 300 36V

Hi-

Looking at doing a Lithium conversion. I have found a 36V 10s @ 85Ah pack from a Kia Ioniq.
It has a standard positive and negative connection in the pack setup

Could it be that simple, just take out the old 6 volts batteries and connect the new 36V pack? I have working headlights on the cart as well.

Any direction on this would be very helpful...if I need additional electronics to make it work, what would I need?

Thank you,
Jeff
sockeye342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium Conversion '88 Western Model 300 36V

Drop 'n run sounds far to easy. Lithium batteries need a charger that is setup to charge them and the charge amps and rate for lithium is different than for lead acid. You may be able to charge the lithium with your current charger.....but that may decrease the life of the battery, or worse. Worse = many things not good can happen.

Those who are familiar with the Korean lithium battery should chime in on what needs done.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
sockeye342
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to add to my question...I live in the Palm Springs area where are temps will get up to into the 120's...will a lithium pack work in temps like that or should I just stick with the good ol' lead-acid?
sockeye342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"lithium" is too generic a term for your 120 degree question. I run Lithium Manganese Cobalt Oxide cells and these don't like to be stored at high (96 or greater) temps. If you are storing for any length of time at these (or other elevated) temps for my lithium cells you should have them charged to 3.90vpc.

But I don't know what specific formulation of lithium Kia is using. If you Google search it you can probably find out what variant of Lithium they are using then go to Battery University web site and look up the stats. They may be the same/more/less tolerant to storage at different temperatures.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

once you have your battery chemistry look up the info here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...of_lithium_ion
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most of us also refuse to operate a Lithium battery pack without a BMS to monitor and to protect the pack against overcharging, over discharging and high temperature (aka thermal runaway).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Murby
Gone Wild

If your lithium battery is going to be subjected to high temperatures (>90 degF), while in storage, you should discharge the pack to 3.4 volts per cell (lithium ion).

It won't stop the parasitic reactions that happen due to the high temperatures, but it will slow them down.

Lead acid batteries perform better at high temperatures, but they also suffer from the same cycle life degradation because of those higher temps.

Any way you go, 120 degrees is going to be bad for all batteries. I'd almost suggest coming up with a system that allows you to remove the pack to bring it in the house.. or maybe a liquid cooling system that allows you to plug it into a water supply to keep it at a reasonable temperature.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v electric, kia ioniq, lithium, western golf cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium