lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #21
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Educate me on Star Carts

Phil thank you yet again.

My Sirius has hit 26 on several occasions. Could perhaps get 1 or 2 more
if the distance between stop signs were longer.

Acquiring an OEM Curtis hand held might be obtainable....but resetting parameters is not something I am as of yet equipped or confident enough
to tinker...particularly as cart is still under warranty. Don't want to fry something and incur a major repair expense.

Are the stock brake drums unique to Star, or would another brand work, fit?
Mine have been replaced under warranty for squealing and pulsing. New drums
really need to be trued up..my dealer doesn't have this type of drum lathe.
Squealing now under control...greatly assisted by regen braking...

Phil going back to the stock Sirius controller...the 2019 Sirius (my model the Sirius 2) the Curtis controller is rated at 350 amp ....is the controller you referenced upgraded from 2019...I have the Sirius 2, other Sirius models have a 450 amp just wondered... if what the literature says is different from what is actually on my 2019 Sirius 2.

Thank you for so graciously chatting with me ...and hopefully help others in the
process as well.
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #22
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Phil

How can I acquire a shop manual ? My dealer couldn't seem to acquire from
Star.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Phil

How can I acquire a shop manual ? My dealer couldn't seem to acquire from
Star.

Thats a good question, I haven't seen one either. only thing we have is a parts manual via accessing the dealer portal. I have downloaded the Curtis data sheet for the controller, it has a typical wiring diagram and faults codes, etc. have a nice weekend - Phil
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #24
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Have a great weekend as well Phil!!

When you have a chance could you please check this out for me?

Are the stock brake drums unique to Star Sirius, or would another brand work, fit?

Thanks Phil
Old 11-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #25
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Have a great weekend as well Phil!!

When you have a chance could you please check this out for me?

Are the stock brake drums unique to Star Sirius, or would another brand work, fit?

Thanks Phil
I believe the drums are unique to Star, they are the same ones used on their bus. They are larger than standard golf cart drums. as for turning them, I never heard of anyone doing that on a golf cart. We have had a few come back for squeaking brakes, but its mostly the fronts that are making the noise. We apply brake squeak stop on the pads and the noise go away. - Phil
Old 11-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #26
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Hi Phil

Brakes tend to pulse as in out of round drums particularly when I need to apply brakes more firmly.

Years ago I quieted squealing brakes by drilling small diameter hole down to
but not through the metal backing just wide enough to fit a pencil led. Then
I would fit a pencil lead to the hole and cut it at shoe pad surface...(on the leading edge). End of squealing....no loss of braking power.

Didn't know that a brake squeak stop product existed..is it an aerosol...how is it
applied?

Thanks Phil
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Phil

Brakes tend to pulse as in out of round drums particularly when I need to apply brakes more firmly.

Years ago I quieted squealing brakes by drilling small diameter hole down to
but not through the metal backing just wide enough to fit a pencil led. Then
I would fit a pencil lead to the hole and cut it at shoe pad surface...(on the leading edge). End of squealing....no loss of braking power.

Didn't know that a brake squeak stop product existed..is it an aerosol...how is it
applied?

Thanks Phil

its more of an adhesive you put on the back of the pads. its mainly used in automotive applications, but works as well on golf carts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crc brake quiet.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Late to this thread but Star came in three versions:

1. the EZGO TXT lookalike. Once it was known as 'JATO' a Chinese ripoff with a Curtis Sepex 1268 controller and standard TXT 48 motor. Harnesses were bad at failing and they did not use an ITS sensor but instead some proprietary garbage. Neither of those are obtainable today

2. the second generation is again, a TXT lookalike and the only way I've seen them is in limousine variant. They only say 'Star' on the VIN plate (yes some of them are street titled). Also tend to use Curtis controllers which is the only good thing about them.

3. they bought out FairPlay right after they went to Curtis, are about identical in every way to a FairPlay car, from the body, to dash, steering and so on. Even a NOS FairPlay lift kit will work with these. This is currently the only Star EV around, them and Zone seem to have recycled the FairPlay design. At the least, they ditched Fairplay's Kinetek drive system which was utter garbage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #29
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

I have been out of pocket for a few days so I didn't get back on this thread. Thanks for your input Phil and Carts. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Star Classic. It was in great shape and the batteries tested well. The owner was extremely meticulous and it was obvious from the cart and everything at his house. While trying to make a deal, my local dealer called and said he was getting special on new Star Classics. It has something to do with it being pre-tariff as the tariff's are increasing cost on the units by 7% or so. Anyway, I was able to get a brand new classic in the color of my choice with all the options I cared about for only $2500 more than the used one (and this used one was by far the best deal I could find on a used unit). Considering the price of new batteries, I figured the deal was worth it. So here is what I got for the extra $$$...

AC motor on new classic instead of the DC
New batteries
Choice of color and wheels
2yr/4yr warrenty
Spenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #30
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Spenda congrats on your new cart.

Sounds like you great timing on your deal and the pricing.

If you haven't read thru this thread it GeoJoe tells his story with his Star..
with great results even under rough use.

For sure you will enjoy the ac motor... My Sirius has apparently strong
pull uphills and decent speed even uphill...22mph would go faster up the same hill if there were long enough distance before the stop sign....26 on flat with maybe 1 or 2 mph lurking around if space allowed.

May you have great results with your new Classic!!

Carts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay