lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Educate me on Star Carts

Spenda,

Star car parts are hard to come by, and when ordered can take 2 months or more to arrive. There is absolutely no acceptable reason for having to order the
spare parts from china. There should be basic supply in North Carolina assembly plant at all times! My own exprerience with my brand new Star cart.

Schematics, shop manuals are near unobtaniums....

It has been said that they are a copy of EzGo and probably are...but Star designs parts to their own specs making it even harder to acquire parts outside
of their own supply chain.

Can controllers be swapped out? Star programs them to their specs and codes,
and these codes maybe unobtanium for Star cart owners in general.

Hope this helps.
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Spenda,

Star car parts are hard to come by, and when ordered can take 2 months or more to arrive. There is absolutely no acceptable reason for having to order the
spare parts from china. There should be basic supply in North Carolina assembly plant at all times! My own exprerience with my brand new Star cart.

Schematics, shop manuals are near unobtaniums....

It has been said that they are a copy of EzGo and probably are...but Star designs parts to their own specs making it even harder to acquire parts outside
of their own supply chain.

Can controllers be swapped out? Star programs them to their specs and codes,
and these codes maybe unobtanium for Star cart owners in general.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I have been researching Star a good it lately. One of the problems you are having with parts, etc. is that you have the new Sirius model I think. Star used to use parts that were used more generally by any different "brands." The Sirius is their first model that is truly theirs. The model has only been around for two years or so and I am thinking this may be part of the problem.

Star is located in Simpsonville, SC which is a suburb of Greenville, SC where I live. As a result, there are fair number running around downtown being used by hotels, shuttles, etc. I have called up there twice now and spoken to a couple of different people. They didn't try to blow me off or anything. When I questioned issues with the Sirius model, they indicated there were some issues they were working through and they think they have solved. My local dealer said that the Star warranty is very good and that they will insure the customer gets taken care of.

I will say the information have learned, including your experience, has given me great pause in considering a Sirius. I have been focusing on a Classic as that model is basically the same as it has been for ten years or so. Kind of like Phil said in his post.

Have you tried calling Star directly? I have no idea if it'll help but they were helpful the times I called. Not saying it would help get parts that just aren't there but who knows...

I wish there were more LSV's on the market to choose from, that's for sure!

Thanks again for your info.
Spenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Spenda,

My apologies on the location of the Star assembly facilities...how I got to
thinking it was located in NC I don't know...

I have in my previous post said and do maintain...my dealership owners and the supporting tech crew have been nothing short of outstanding and cannot say enough about my dealership's support.

True enough the Sirius is a new design...however as the Sirius is Star's latest
and greatest...it should have a more thorough development process and far greater attention to parts quality, manufacture and assembly.

Besides what I have mentioned already there have been other issue with the cart cutting out even with a full charge...all these issues on a new cart..wow!

Star has to their credit supported my dealership's warranty claims.
Kudos to Star for honoring their warranty thus far.

As for me trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

To be sure ...my Sirius has many beautiful features about it that drew me to it.
Adjustable backrest..for better driving position, one of the major reasons
I purchased it..The big 3 don't offer this and driving positions on these are
uncomfortable stretching to steer and foot control reach.

The instrument console is amazing. Speedometer, tripmeter, odometer, an soc
gauge, clock and a few other goodies. Instead of the soc gauge it sports, would
have preferred a battery pack volt meter...At my request my dealership ordered and installed ScottyB's voltmeter and am very thankful that they did.

The interior layout is beautiful to say the least.

The 5.4 hp ac motor was another calling card.
With cart being box stock it has hit 26 mph. Perhaps another mile or two still
to be had. Distances between stop signs at most being about 400 ft apart,
more typically about 320 ft..all this while toting 632 lbs of batteries not bad.

At 42.4 mile ride including several steep graded hills the stop voltage
according to ScottyB's meter was 49.4 volts and eagle pro charger showing 106 amps used.

Batteries are Crown agm crv 260ah. Lot's of driving around the loops
of my small community. Typically I may run 15-20 miles/ day.

In these aspects am very pleased with my Sirius.

Forgot to mention a trunk storage space under the hood with a built
in ice cooler!

Originally had wanted to post a thread just for this. But the question educate me about star carts with Spenda's very well taken post brought me to share my story thus far with my Sirius.

Thank you every one..hope this read helps others as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #14
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenda864 View Post
I am looking at a Star myself. The main reason is I need an LSV so I can operate it without the restrictions of a golf cart. I have a local dealer but they only have new ones so I have been looking around for a used model. My concern has been what to look for in a used model. I know about battery age and maintenance but I am concerned with the parts. For all intents and purposes, these are just more generic golf carts, right? Meaning I can always change out a controller, etc without much trouble.
Spenda864, if your looking for a used Star. I would go with a Classic 4 or 6 seater, with a 48 volts/400 amp Curtis 1268 controller. Stars come stock with head/tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, horn and seat belts 2 per seat row. Its almost 100% ready for LSV use, depending on the laws you may have to put a DOT cert windshield in place of the flip windshield.

In a used model I would look for battery corrosion issues in the battery compartment and along frame, check wiring and wiring harness for cuts, make sure switches work and lights function, oil leaks on the differential and axle tubes, steering, brakes, tire wear front and rear. all items listed are not unique to a Star cart, but with any used cart should be inspected.

Controllers on all Stars are open at the OEM level, so you can change the programming. However you will need access to an OEM level hand held programmer to make changes. Star parts are only available from a dealership, there are not many after market parts available. Controller and motors are available after market.

Hope this helps, Phil.
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Hi Phil_Billy

From your experience working on Star carts...could you please tell me
who makes the motor on my Sirius, the Curtis controller model #
as well as the gauge of the stock battery cables incorporated in my Sirius?

Curiosity nagging at me...

Thank you sir!!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #16
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Phil_Billy

Thank you sir!!
I will check and let you know, Phil.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #17
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Thank you Phil for taking the time and effort with this...
Looking forward to your findings.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Phil_Billy

Thank you sir!!

all Star carts ship with 2ga battery cables.

Specific to Sirius only

Controller is a Curtis 1234SE-5421, 36-48v 450amp

Motor is branded as a Star EV, no manufacturer information listed.
model # AQHT5-40038, 5kw, 3 phase, 32vac, 118amp, 100hz, 2935rpm

hope this satisfies your curiosity. Phil
Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #19
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Wow Phil...thank you for getting the information for me.

It's good to know what's "under the hood" rather, "under the seat" I should say.

Reading here on BGW how many mods hop ups cart natics perform around here. I have wondered what hop up mods might be possible on my Sirius to gain another 5mph from 25-26mph to 30 or so.

Because of the console display the Sirius has... speedometer, trip meter, odometer, soc gauge, speed range indicators as well as fnr; just how closed
the system is to upgrading the ac motor and controller. Just how upgradable
and modable is the Sirius?

Fun things to know and ponder...in case the itch needs scratching

Currently my Sirius is ample enough for me...for now...

Thanks again Phil !!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #20
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wow Phil...thank you for getting the information for me.

It's good to know what's "under the hood" rather, "under the seat" I should say.

Reading here on BGW how many mods hop ups cart natics perform around here. I have wondered what hop up mods might be possible on my Sirius to gain another 5mph from 25-26mph to 30 or so.

Because of the console display the Sirius has... speedometer, trip meter, odometer, soc gauge, speed range indicators as well as fnr; just how closed
the system is to upgrading the ac motor and controller. Just how upgradable
and modable is the Sirius?

Fun things to know and ponder...in case the itch needs scratching

Currently my Sirius is ample enough for me...for now...

Thanks again Phil !!!!

your welcome. I just sped one up to 27mph this morning for a customer. not hard to speed up, just have to have access to a OEM Curtis hand held and know which parameters to change. only upgrade I would do is a motor that has a higher rpm rating. the controller will allow you to program the cart to 6000 rpms. - Phil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay