lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
goliwagmo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Insurance for South Florida LSV's

I submitted a post to another thread, but it's been inactive for a few years, so I wanted to begin a new thread that specifically addresses this issue. I'm trying to obtain insurance for my registered LSV here in South Florida. Most of the insurance companies I've contacted don't have a clue as to what an LSV is. They either want to give me insurance on a golf cart (provided I don't use it on the street), or a full vehicle with full coverage, and also only if I bundle it with my other vehicles. If anyone out there has successfully obtained reasonable insurance coverage on their LSV, I'd really like to know some details, specifically if it is a stand-alone policy or bundled with other vehicles, what coverage limits, premium amount, etc. As of right now, I'm just using the LSV around the neighborhood as I always did with my regular golf cart - uninsured.
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Insurance for South Florida LSV's

Be very careful with the insurance, safeco was cheap and it sounded like they knew what I needed but! about 3 months later I got my license suspended because the insurance was golf cart insurance and NOT auto insurance. So the really cheap ones are probably going to be the wrong stuff. You need auto insurance at least the State minimums so you don’t have the problem I had. I finally went to the company that does all my other cars State Farm it isn’t cheap but it is the correct insurance. I think around 600-700 a year.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
goliwagmo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE - I was able to convince my auto insurer (The Hartford) to give me the required insurance for my LSV, and it was actually very inexpensive (less than $300 for the year). However, in order to get it, I actually had to go all the way up to an assistant vice president and forward them a copy of a memo I found on line, issued by the Florida Bureau of Motorist Compliance and distributed to "All Insurance Companies Authorized to Issue Motor Vehicle Policies in Florida" which details the insurance requirements for LSV's. There is also a great pamphlet published by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles that details the requirements for LSV's, titled "Your Guide to Drive" for Low Speed Vehicles, Golf Carts and Off-Highway Vehicles. I sent copies of both of these to the representative at The Hartford. The main lesson learned when contacting your insurance carrier about this is to NEVER use the words 'golf cart' in your initial contact. If the person you're speaking to doesn't know what an LSV is (mine didn't), ask to speak to someone else familiar with them. The 'Make' of the vehicle on the registration is ASPT (ASsembled from ParTs) so that's what you should refer to it as. It was quite an ordeal to finally get my insured LSV on the road, but I'm glad I did it and won't be hassled by the police for driving my LSV on a public roadway.
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
ibartist
Not Yet Wild

Hi G,
I live in Lake Worth - desperate to get LSV insurance - my Hartford guy doesn't get it -- can you refer me to your agent?? I live on SW K - its crazy - I have that memo you mentioned -- and called the person that wrote it - - maddening - I hope you see this -- I bet I have seen you zip past my house.. lol
ibartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
ia_cyber
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibartist View Post
Hi G,
I live in Lake Worth - desperate to get LSV insurance - my Hartford guy doesn't get it -- can you refer me to your agent?? I live on SW K - its crazy - I have that memo you mentioned -- and called the person that wrote it - - maddening - I hope you see this -- I bet I have seen you zip past my house.. lol
I live in Wellington and I just use mine on campsites when we go camping and around my neighborhood, such as grocery store and kid pickups/drop offs at school. I ride on the sidewalk
ia_cyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Definitely need it here to get a sticker for street use. Only costs me $180 a year for liability on the cart cart and insurance on anyone riding in it that may get hurt.
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #7
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Insurance availability and cost here in south Florida is absurd. The cost is higher for my street legal cart than the cost to insure my crazy fast Z06 corvette. The cost is predicated on the fact that no ins cos other than Allstate will write coverage, and they will only write the cart if you give them all your other vehicles. Anyone that tells you they pay $100 per year does not have ins for the street which needs to include PIP coverage as per Florida DMV. And yes my cart was produced completely street legal from the manufacture and included a MSO document. How can this Barbi Jeep that goes 24 mph be so impossible to insure? I was told by Statefarm, Geico, progressive, safeco, Foremost along with every other insurer that they do not cover. These are not golf carts but are and fall under the guidelines on LowSpeed electric vehicles. Crazy thing is that every time you speak to one of the companies sales reps you get an entirely different piece on information, sort of like speaking to Comcast :). If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Im in pinellas county florida and have my LSV (CC DS) insured with statefarm and its a heck of a lot more then $100.00 a year . PM me if you would my insurance info .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
scrapper01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Im in pinellas county florida and have my LSV (CC DS) insured with statefarm and its a heck of a lot more then $100.00 a year . PM me if you would my insurance info .

I live in St Pete and would like to hear about your insurance recommendations for an LSV. I cant seem to send any PMs.
scrapper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I use state farm . it is in the Wal-Mart market parking lot on the corner of ulmerton rd and Starkey rd

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, lsv, street legal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!