lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
ratorrey
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default 73 Harley 3 Wheel Forward and Reverse Switch

Hello,

I just picked up a not running 73 Harley 3 wheel and the forward/reverse switch has been removed. Someone has put a 3 position toggle switch in place (up forward, middle off and down reverse) and wired a bank of 4 12v solenoids; piggybacking ground through the large stud and power through the smaller positive stud. 2 solenoids for forward and 2 for reverse It appears to be functional, I can get power through the solenoids, 2 have power in forward and 2 others have power in reverse and I can see power at the starter/generator. It need a rebuild, barely moves in forward and does not want to move in reverse. In looking at the wiring diagram I do not see any HD Cart with this setup. Has anyone else seen this? Does this concept make sense to anyone? After having the Starter/Generator rebuilt if it goes forward and reverse what is everyone's thought on leaving the solenoids?

Richard
ratorrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 73 Harley 3 Wheel Forward and Reverse Switch

I actually have seen this and it makes sense on some carts but, by the life of me, I can't see how it makes sense on a gasser as such a conversion wouldn't help anything performance wise. Hear me out:

This past fall I upgraded a 36v EZ Go shuttle to 48v. In doing so, I upgraded the manual F/R lever with a toggle as the stock F/R can't handle 48v. As toggles can't accept high amps I had to add two new solenoids, one dedicated to forward and one dedicated to reverse for a total of 3 in the cart; one for the whole circuit, one for forward, one for reverse.

It seems as if your cart is following this exact same logic. The toggle's position is opening the solenoids for F/R along with one each for the circuit in general. It seems possible that you could make that work with a shared circuit solenoid that would serve both F and R like as with the conversion I did above so you would only need 3 solenoids total. I would have to ponder it further though.

I just wonder why the heck someone would do that conversion. Maybe the F/R lever broke or something? Maybe a previous owner was handicapped or something and couldn't work the manual lever?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
ratorrey
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

The original F/R Switch is totally missing, I assume this was done as a workaround,. If I can find a F/R Switch I am going to rip out the solenoids and put the correct switch in. If I could drop it down to 2 solenoids for the F/R switching I might live with it. If anyone can tell me how to connect A1 A2 and F2 to 2 solenoids and a toggle switch to make it work I would be greafull. Or does anyone have a F/R switch they want to part with?

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I actually have seen this and it makes sense on some carts but, by the life of me, I can't see how it makes sense on a gasser as such a conversion wouldn't help anything performance wise. Hear me out:

This past fall I upgraded a 36v EZ Go shuttle to 48v. In doing so, I upgraded the manual F/R lever with a toggle as the stock F/R can't handle 48v. As toggles can't accept high amps I had to add two new solenoids, one dedicated to forward and one dedicated to reverse for a total of 3 in the cart; one for the whole circuit, one for forward, one for reverse.

It seems as if your cart is following this exact same logic. The toggle's position is opening the solenoids for F/R along with one each for the circuit in general. It seems possible that you could make that work with a shared circuit solenoid that would serve both F and R like as with the conversion I did above so you would only need 3 solenoids total. I would have to ponder it further though.

I just wonder why the heck someone would do that conversion. Maybe the F/R lever broke or something? Maybe a previous owner was handicapped or something and couldn't work the manual lever?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I did a 2 solenoid conversion on my 1980 model d last year so I wouldn't have to reach all the way down in the floor anymore. I used a two position push/pull switch and mounted it on the dash by the key.now I just push it in for forward and pull it out for reverse.It's a much simpler setup to me.Ckeck out my setup in my photo gallery.
sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, that makes sense. With a gas cart you wouldn't need the third solenoid to start the parent circuit like you do an electric. Actually, on an electric it might be able to be done with only 2 solenoids also but it would take a good amount of duplicate wiring to and from the speed controller for F/R.

Not sure why they went with 4 solenoids rather than two.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
ratorrey
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Sidetracked

Thank You..

That wiring diagram is great. Currently they have 4 wire solenoids installed. I just did a quick search and did not see a 5 wire solenoid. What did you use and where did thy come from?? Also the Jumpers you used, what are they? They look like crushed copper pipe with holes..

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetracked View Post
I did a 2 solenoid conversion on my 1980 model d last year so I wouldn't have to reach all the way down in the floor anymore. I used a two position push/pull switch and mounted it on the dash by the key.now I just push it in for forward and pull it out for reverse.It's a much simpler setup to me.Ckeck out my setup in my photo gallery.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I found the solenoids on eBay and you are exactly right about the jumpers ,I couldn't find anything that seemed heavy enough so I flattened a piece of 1/2 inch copper and drilled holes in it.It has been working great for a year.
sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
forge5813
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I might have a spare F/R switch or you can check Vintage. Theirs are $185 and they claim "better than new". If you decide to go back to the stock F/R and want a used one PM me and I will check my spare parts and let you know. I won't be able to check until the weekend as I am out of town.
forge5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I like the toggle switch conversion (the Yamaha G1 uses the toggle switch setup). That conversion shouldn't have anything to do with your sluggish running. If the conversion is wired correctly and the cart gets voltage to the starter/generator when the problem is corrected it should run just right! The number of solenoids (either 2 or 4) depends on the type of solenoids used. I will need to do the conversion on one of my carts soon if I can remember how.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Stuartrobertwhitehouse
Not Yet Wild

Could you just use a winch reverse polarity soelnoid and a 3 way switch I am asking because I am looking into the Sam type of thing
Stuartrobertwhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson