lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Rev limiter

Looking for a direction here... Question? Why is my 295 hitting the rev limiter so soon? Under acceleration to running speed and top end I am hitting my limiter.. I swapped igniters from a cart that is running normally and the condition persists... I have what I think is a fairly good working knowledge of this engine but despite all kinds of cable and linkage adjusting I cannot get the engine to rev normally or run top speed without hitting the limiter.. I adjusted the governor to its stock position but I have to manually pull the arm on the differential to get the rpm's in check to cooperate with the igniter... Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have got to be somewhere close to finding it and I am not giving in...Thanks guys..
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rev limiter

Just to add a detail, I have the belt off and its still hitting the limiter... Can the coil cause this?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Any backfiring? It sounds like the throttle plate is going wide open and the gov isn't pulling back like its supposed to. If you can pull the arm to get it in check then maybe there is a problem with the gov itself. Ruredy explained the operation of the governor in this thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...4-strokes.html

With the belt off, I think you would surely hit the rev limiter since you are no longer driving the rear end which is where the spinning weights are located that control the gov. With it up on jack stands and belt on, look to see if the governor is truly pulling against the carb plate as it should. Could be that the cable is stretched out and needs to be replaced.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The governor arm is pushing back against the carb butterfly... Tomorrow I am going to see exactly what rpm the ignitor is kicking in at... I can tell you that it is most definitely over reving.... I have worked on these many times and the governor arm control is a slow, gradual slowing of the speed to balance clutches... This particular problem is the engine peaking out to the limiter and dropping out to get the rpm's down... Could I possibly be out a tooth in the timing? I've driven it with the belt on and the governor adjusted per the thread contents and the limiter is dropping fire and picking back up to correct the rpm levels... Would this advanced timing cause a little to much pep and let the engine rev to quickly?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

What is the limit for the ignitor to engage per rpm's? Is it between 3500 and 4000?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I still have had no luck... I swapped ignitors from a good running car and both ignitors are displaying normal limits on the running cart... However, the cart with the problem still has the same issue.. I swapped belts and put a considerably shorter belt on the cart and it seemed to run some better but I still would hit the rev limiter under acceleration to running speed unless you just eased into it... At top speed with the engine hot I had gotten the engine to run somewhat acceptable within rev limits but after cooling off it started having issues again.. Even if the accelerator cable had stretched it would seem that cable adjustment would alleviate the stretching? I have tried all kinds of linkage adjustment but to no avail... It seems that something else electrical is plaguing me... I swapped both clutches and checked timing but same thing... I am to the point that I am willing to swap engines from my other cart to see if it will run correctly but it has to be something I don't see... I NEED HELP!!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One tooth off on the timing belt will cause performance issues. I would recheck that timing.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Double checked!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you checked running voltage to the positive side of the coil? Too little voltage the ignition will break down causing symptoms similar to rev limiter coming in. Too much voltage with do the same as well as damage the coil. Voltage regulator could be the culprit.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

So with the governor backed off, it still hits the limiter? The governor isn't necessarily what keeps the clutches balanced, they work in harmony with each other and with a load. In other words, the governor is in place to keep the cart at a safe ground speed (12-15 mph stock)which is why a dealer will not adjust a cart past a certain point due to liability issues (federal mandates).

A shorter belt will keep the clutches in a lower ratio for a longer period of time which will cause the engine to rev much higher at a lower ground speed. This is why people use a shorter belt, to get more low end umph.

You may want to check the voltage reg as suggested and maybe try swapping the coil from the other cart to rule that out as well. I am interested to see what this ends up being.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO