lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Holy horrible handling, Batman!

2010 Precedent
All Sports 6-inch Double A-Arm
Williamson rear seat kit
Heavy Duty rear springs SPN-1023
Unknown age Monroe shocks with dry-rotted bushings
23x10.5-12 tires at 25psi

I took my cart out for its maiden hunting voyage last night. Two adult riders, 200 lbs each. The ride quality is bad. Like, unconscionably bad. As in, “no one should ever have suggested this was a good idea” bad. It’s so stiff and rough, I’m sore all over today. Gonna go ahead and cancel my dentist appointment scheduled for next week—my fillings have already rattled out.

90% of my hunting will be just me in the cart, or me plus one passenger, so that's the focus. I don't want the cart to spec'd so that it's unusable with 4 passengers, but I have to do something about the off-road ride quality with 1 or 2. The large majority of my terrain is hard-packed ranch roads, but I also travel over (apparently) very rocky ground. My 17-year-old Z71 with a quarter million miles on the OEM shocks handles this like butter, but on the golf cart it's nigh impassable. What should I be looking to change in an effort to improve this?

Swap out the rear spring for a dual action spring? Stock spring?
Long travel kit upfront?
Different tire pressure?
Replace or upgrade shocks?

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Holy horrible handling, Batman!

DA spring will ride better for sure, and less tire pressure. My wife's stock Precedent rides like hell...rattles and bangs down the sidewalk. DS? Smooooooth as glass.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Drop that tire pressure as low as possible without the risk of rolling the tire off the wheel and get rid of the HD springs or deal with the ride.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I agree with NCPW, 25 psi is way too much. drop the pressure to 8 psi..and I
wouldn't worry about the shocks they don't do much anyway with HD springs.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Jeremy-Exotic
Not Yet Wild

What lift kit is on it?
Jeremy-Exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy-Exotic View Post
What lift kit is on it?
Says "All Sports 6-inch Double A-Arm"
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Tonight I dropped my air pressure to 15 and picked up some stock rear leaf springs. We’ll see how that goes for the next hunt.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
Tonight I dropped my air pressure to 15 and picked up some stock rear leaf springs. We’ll see how that goes for the next hunt.
15 psi for off road is still high. Atv's usually run less than 10 psi. Not sure what ply those tires are, but that could have something to do with the ride. If they are 6 ply with stiff sidewalls they will not ride soft.

Long travel front suspension with soft springs will fix the front end for sure. I'm a huge fan of LT suspensions. I've used the Jakes LT many times with good reports from all, even after years of use they are still holding up good. Now Rhox makes an LT kit that claims to be made for "off road". I've not used it yet, but it looks nice, price isn't bad either. Not sure if they have one for that model cart.

Dual action rear springs are supposed to be worth the cost and effort. If someone here has used them they will chime in.

And....um.....did you just compare a golf cart to an off road pickup truck? Not even in the same arena. Your golf cart is not, and was never made for off road use, other than cart path, fairway, and smooth grass traveling. Throwing a lift kit and big tires on it and expecting a cadillac ride? Not sure who talked you into that one lol
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
Do the air pressure thing first. Not both.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Do the air pressure thing first. Not both.
I thought about that, and tested the cart as best I could in the 'hood tonight with just the tires adjusted. I'm not taking it back into the field with those HD springs though. No effing way.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts