lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need help on tires for a lifted marathon

I put a 5inch block lift on my ezgo marathon. I can't seem to find my answer using the search. Everything comes up for TXT's and newer model's. I've read that a 22x11x8 is normal for a 4inch lift. Could I fit a narrower 23 or 24 inch tire on the front? I'm thinking about buying new heavy duty front springs later too.
And as for rims.... I'm going to be getting ITP ss4 10x8's with a 3/5 offset. I can stick my lawnmower tire(of all things) on the front and it clears everything. It has a 23x8x12 tire. But I don't know exactly where the offset rims are going to stick the tires at. Does anyone want to measure from center-to-center of there front(offset) rims&tires?
My buddy just picked up a TXT cart with 25's. And I don't want the ole' marathon looking like a munchkin....
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help on tires for a lifted marathon

Most of the offset wheels (8" & 10") are 3"/4" or 2"/5" on a 7" wide rim.The smaller dimension is inside.With a 4" lift 22's are it.You can go 6"lift,and fit 23-24".If you have an older 2-stroke you would be happier w/22's and some clutch-work.They only have 8hp and not alot of torque.Shim the drive-clutch about 3/16"-1/4",Remove the shim between the sheaves on the driven-clutch.If it shifts too early shim the driven-clutch.Start w/1/8" and go up 1/16" at a time until you are happy.I wouldn't go over 1/4" with it.You will definitely notice the Drive-Clutch mod.instantly.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't have to worry about clutches and being under-powered. I swapped in a 300cc kawasaki 4 wheeler motor and rear drivetrain. But I left all the ezgo stuff up front. You're answer does help some. I'll have to check the offset on my lawnmower's rims. They came out perfect on the front.
No time to hi-jack my own thread... The wheels I'm looking at getting are a 4-spoke design like the ones I've posted. All I can find is a 10" rim in this style. Does anyone know if somebody makes a 12" version that fits golf carts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mygolfcartrims.jpg (10.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I don't have to worry about clutches and being under-powered. I swapped in a 300cc kawasaki 4 wheeler motor and rear drivetrain. But I left all the ezgo stuff up front. You're answer does help some. I'll have to check the offset on my lawnmower's rims. They came out perfect on the front.
No time to hi-jack my own thread... The wheels I'm looking at getting are a 4-spoke design like the ones I've posted. All I can find is a 10" rim in this style. Does anyone know if somebody makes a 12" version that fits golf carts?
http://www.nivelparts.com/pages/prod...40440&c=020&n=

Ask any sponsor that deals with Nivel and they can order them for you.....

12 x 7 rim with a 2+5 offset......

Contact ScottyB, he is a sponsor and I know he deals with Nivel...... I'm sure he can get you a good price on them.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sweet! that's what I've been looking for! I found all kinds of other brand rims with the style I'm wanting. But none of them were 12" rims. Thanks! I'll have to PM ScottyB tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Sweet! that's what I've been looking for! I found all kinds of other brand rims with the style I'm wanting. But none of them were 12" rims. Thanks! I'll have to PM ScottyB tomorrow.
I told him you should be contacting him, I'm sure you are in excellent hands and will be very happy with him.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to ScottyB for being an awesome fellow member and sponsor I have my rims!
Now back to tires. I read somwhere that the TXT and newer carts front springs are longer than my marathon. Is there any truth in this? Also do the springs mount up differently? And if anyones swapped springs... How much does it mess up with the steering linkage? I think if I can push out the axle a couple of inches I might be able to fit 23" tires. I guess I should've kept the bayou front suspension after-all and put it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000030.jpg (120.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The Txt springs are 2" longer,But measure yours first.There are 3 spring-lengths and they interchange.My Dad has a 1990 Marathon and his front springs were 2" shorter than the ones on my 85.He switched to the 85 fronts and used a 5" lift.It sits great w/22's and definitely has room for 23's.The steering worked out ok too.I don't remember what years they switched but i know it was somewhere in the 88-up marathons that they shortened them then went back again.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
monkeyboy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I did some measuring today on my buddies cart. My springs measured around 17" and his TXT measured at about 20" His springs also have an angle on the end of the leaves so it doesn't cause the axle to roll backwards when hitting bumps. but it looks like they mount up completely different. My marathon has 4 bolts around the spring where his has 3 bolts thru the springs. My cart is an '89. So I bet I have the shorter spring that you're talking about "pachanga90" if I could put his springs on it looks like I might be able to fit 25's with a little trimming to the dash pockets. I did bolt his wheels on tonight to see how a 25" looked. It cleared everything while sitting still. But it would definately hit the front cowl behind the tire if I hit a bump while turning.
Anyone have any experience with the heavyduty springs for a marathon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000041.jpg (130.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IM000042.jpg (122.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 07-22-2010 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: add photo
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
GeoJoe
Getting Wild

Star

On my old 90 Marathon, I used 1970 Ford Mustang shocks in the rear and (1985 I think) F150 shocks up front (or vice versa) and a 4" Lift from BU.

Here's the result of a neighbor's driving into an open irrigation control box with that setup:

No one was hurt, but I sure was sore for a few days after getting thrown out. Be careful out there!
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts