lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1990 Carryall II Build

I'm going to try my hand a documenting a build I'm doing on a 1990 Carryall II, putting in a 16hp Vanguard motor. I traded the cart for a Stainless Bar-B-Que grill that I had aquired and then ran across a 16hp Vanguard motor for a price I couldn't pass up so that started the process. I stripped the cart down to nothing and started cleaning, inspecting and replacing the parts. I had to buy a used front cowl as the old one was toasted. I bought a 6 inch Allsport Supersport lift and 23-12 all terrain ties and that was the point of no return. Here is a pic when I started. Ugly huh? My wife said what the Hell are you thinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01448.JPG (210.6 KB, 0 views)
Panhed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Carryall II Build

I bench tested the motor and she ran so I contacted Tom at CPP and he hooked me up with a new clutch, heavy duty belt and adapter. Man thats scarry drilling and cutting on a crank, but its done. I installed the lift so I could start fabbing the motor in place and that was fairly easy with the Allsport kit. I painted the axles on the rearend and the leaf springs and put in new spring bushings all the way around. Some of the old bolts were almost worn in half. Wow.

I widened my mounting plate and slotted the holes to mount the motor and got it put in and lined up.The old bushing between the motor plate and the carrier were gone but i found a kit at my local parts store the look like they were made for it and installed them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01482.JPG (227.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01486.JPG (218.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I made a 2 inch drop for the front of the motor carrier to get it out of a bind and put on a new snubber. Put the motor in, rewired it completely per the vanguard diagrams and replumbed it. had to take the fuel pump apart and clean the laquer out of it. This thing was in sad shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01487.JPG (194.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had previously put on the Allsport kit on the front end but went back to it yesterday was going to replace the boots on the steering box and ran into another problem. The bearings were worn out in the output shafts and the botom of the box below the input shaft had a hole in it. Somebody fixed it with silicone, not good so I'm going to have to replace the steering box..... My wife is ready to shoot me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01484.JPG (212.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After the steering box find yesterday I needed to put something together to make me feel like I was getting somewhere so I installed the new/used front cowl. I had to break out the 16lb sledge hammer to reshape the brush guard but I got it to line up. I was able to use 2 of the left over bushings from the kit I purchased to mount the Brushguard. I also started to install the carbon fiber dashboard but then the rains came so I went on a parts run. Wifes ready to shoot me again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01490.JPG (224.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01491.JPG (203.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

It's lookin good Panhed
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
sofar-sogood
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Great job so far. I have a similar Carryall 2 that I want to do the same things to so Ill be watching your progress and taking notes. I am looking for a dash replacement but no one can tell me if the DS dash will fit the Carryall? Is that what you used?
sofar-sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sofar, the DS dash does fit the Carryall.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Panhed66
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well today was a long day of sanding and polishing. I put the newly painted engine cradle and motor plate back together and put it back in the cart then started sanding. I took some breaks to let the grinder cool down and cut the boards for my seat and both back rests. Luckily the foam is good so all I have to do is order the covers and put them together. This is starting to remind me of the Johnny Cash song "one peice at a time". I cant wait to get some paint on it to see it come together.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
sofar-sogood
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Tks for the fitment answer, it looks like my engine rotation is reversed from yours but that can be worked around.
sofar-sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!