lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
navyflyer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2006 Precedent brake grabbing

Greetings,
I am having an issue with one side of my rear brakes. I recently replaced the leaf springs with heavy duty springs. This involved disconnecting the brake cable from the drum. When I went to re-attach cable, it was difficult, so I knew I'd have to do some brake cable adjusting. I drove it anyway to check, I noticed a loss of about 3-4 mph and a distinct rubbing noise in the right rear tire. Plus the drum was very hot to the touch. On the lift, the right rear would not spin freely at all. I took everything off, re-adjusted the brakes and the brake cable according to the service manual. Pumped pedal until the clicking stopped, wheels spun freely.

After a test drive, drum was hot again, and on the lift, left wheel spins freely, right spins, but with a fair amount of resistance...still down 1-2 mph. Looking at the brake lever arms where the cable attaches, they are all the way back (not engaged) and there is some play in the cable (ie - it is not tight and pulling on the pads). Pedal through feels normal.

So, I am wondering (1) Is some resistance normal or should the wheels spin freely? (The manual says that you need some time for the pads to resurface agains the drums...that makes sense)

(2) Should I go through the whole process again?

(3) Is it ok to drive is there is some rubbing?

Thanks in advance!
Bob
navyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
navyflyer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent brake grabbing

Plot thickens, I figured out that it isn't the brakes. Hope I can explain it well: When I tourque the tire down onto the hub, it pushes the brake drum up against the back plate....So the rubbing I'm experiencing is NOT misaligned brakes, but the entire wheel and brake drum rubbing against that backplate...

There should be enough clearance, doesn't look warped. If I swap drums, same thing...

Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Has the cart namely the rear wheel in question hit or been hit by anything lately? It sounds as though the axle is too far into the gear case. There is only a bearing and snap ring holding the axle in location. If the bearing were going bad it may allow the axle to go too far in?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
navyflyer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the reply. No hit at all. And was running great until I changed the leaf springs and took wheels off.

What I think is weird also is the drum initially sits nice an snug on the axle, clearance between the drum and the back plate is uniform all around, wheel spins freely. After a test drive, the drum is lodged into that plate, almost at an angle, lock tight...how can that be, that stuff is machined to fit perfectly AND bolted on???

I thought about putting washer spacers over the bolts so to keep the wheel and drum assembly slightly out, but the drum STILL gets wedged into that back plate...

Maybe the axle isn't straight? I aligned it with the new leaf springs, there's no other way to install leaf springs, it's kinds idiot proof.

I keep playing with it...
Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
The_Shocker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You may need to purchase longer U-Bolts. If you are using the factory U-Bolts it can cause twisting of the axle assembly...
The_Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
navyflyer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Lightbulb Re: 2006 Precedent brake grabbing

Problem solved, boy do I feel like an idiot....

When I installed the new springs, you have to disconnect the brake cable from the lever that attaches to the brake adjustor. Well, when I hooked back up the brakes, I noticed that the nut that attached to brake adjustor to the rear plate was loose, so I tightened it...well...it needs to remain loose so the brake adjusting unit can float to properly do what it's supposed to do. If that nut is torqued down, it won't let the adjustor work properly, so every brake pedal application ratches the brakes out towards the drum more and more...

Jeez, I was getting ready to order a new rear axle...live and learn.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car