lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Randy102771
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trojan or US?

I'm trying to decide which set of 12 volt batteries to buy and wanted y'alls opinion. I'm looking at Trojan T1275 for $160 each or US Battery US 12V XC for $150 each.
The amp hours (20 hour rate) is US 155 min. vs. Trojan 150 min. The minutes @ 25 amps is US 292 min. vs. Trojan 280 min. These are the only two comparable rates listed on their websites.
The US battery is $10 each cheaper and the capacity rates are a little bit better. I don't know about warranties.
Which battery would you buy?
(By the way, I've already decided not to convert from 4 12 volts to 6 8 volts. Costs are not worth it as I'll only have the cart for 3 or 4 years anyway.)
Randy102771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
littlebob
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Trojan or US?

I would find out what you admitted you didn't know(warranty). I'm new to the hobby, but in this region Trojan has a good reputation and I don't know about the US. For all I know they may be the same battery marketed under a different name. Sometimes it comes down to how a local dealer will be able to help you with the warranty if you end up needing it. Sometimes you save in the beginning and pay later.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
2frank
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Looks like these folks will buy you old batteries, to boot...

http://www.batterysalesandservice.com/
2frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

One of the cart repair shops near me only puts the US 12v's in all their 4X12 carts they work on. I know CC doesn't use the 4X12 system anymore but they are no longer using Trojan. They use US and Crown batteries. The US are very good batteries and I will get a set in the spring for my 4X12 cart. If they go bad in 2-3 years, I will convert the cart to 6X8. I just can't see spendind the extra $400.00 right now to do it. I also need a set of 8v's and will be using the US batteries. They make 3 diferent 8v's and I will be getting the top of the line one.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe... Both high quality batteries. In my opinion its a matter of personal choice.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Randy102771
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys for your advice. I did find out the US Battery has a one year warranty. I still don't know about the warranty on the Trojan battery.
Randy102771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
ckdgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My Trojan dealer has a 18 month free replace,ment warranty. I tried to set up an account with US Battery and have been told several time that they will call me back.....been 3 months! Apparently they don't need any extra business!
ckdgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

trojan is one year also, my next set won't be trojans. Look at the numbers, more everything and less dollars.......thats a no brainer. Trojan is still riding their name and thats about it.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy102771 View Post
(By the way, I've already decided not to convert from 4 12 volts to 6 8 volts. Costs are not worth it as I'll only have the cart for 3 or 4 years anyway.)
personally, i would go with 6 x 8v sam's/enegizer batteries before i went with 4 x 12v anything. even if you have to replace one after a few years, you'll still end up cheaper. warranty is one year free replacement.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
personally, i would go with 6 x 8v sam's/enegizer batteries before i went with 4 x 12v anything. even if you have to replace one after a few years, you'll still end up cheaper. warranty is one year free replacement.
-sj
Sonic, I would have to be given the Sam's/Energizer batteries before I would put them in a cart. I have never been a fan of replacing 1 battery at a time. It messes up all the other batteries during the charge cycle. They do have a good warranty I know because about every year I have to replace both of my Sam's/Energizer batteries in my Powerstroke! They are the worst batteries I have ever owned. The 4X12 system is probabbly the worst system CC has ever came up with for a golf corse setting. They can't run all day everyday and go through that many charge cycles but for home use, it is not that bad. My 08 Precedent came for a fleet and I am sure they were not properly maintained but they are still good for my application. I can run around my place all I want with no problem and the cart runs 19.6 MPH with 18" tires. I even tahe it golfing with my son and run 18 holes and could run 36 no problem but i'm just not that into golf. The black top Trojan 12v's really sucked!!!!! The US 12v's are pretty good. I know you won't get as much out of them as a 6X8 set up but it is ample for many peoples applications. I don't go on long trail rides or take go mountain trail riding. I live in East Texas where it is pretty flat and no rocks. I only have 33 acers so I don't go too far. I also run to the neighbors houses to visit but never further than 1 mile. I take it to my deer stand or sneak up on wild hogs. I can't see spending $400.00+ to convert to the 6X8 system. If I was retired and golfing 54 holes a day, I would take my cart with the 6X8 setup.

It is kinda funny, I e-mailed trojan with questions about my all black(sucky) trojan 12v's and let them know they were weaker than I thought they should be (for almost 3 year old fleet batteries) and they blamed it on CC's OBC system!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car