lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
EJFleming68
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default High Speed Rear End?

I have a 1981 CC DS that I'm slowly upgrading as a part-time, as funds and parts are available project.

Since the original rear end in this cart is the old 16-spline female Terrill differential and motors are hard to come by, I found a 10-spline male differential to replace it with for $100.

What I've noticed is the existing setup is 2HP, 2,800 RPM and goes about 14mph with 18" tires. I worked out the differential gear ratio to be about 11:1.

The new axle is 6.25:1 and I plan up upgrading to 48V and solid state when I install it and doing lift kit and 21" tires

My questions are:
1.) Does this new axle have "high speed" gear set, is 6.25:1 common?
2.) Would 5HP, 3000 RPM motor (48V Solid State) get me decent performance? I've worked out that 3000RPM = ~30 MPH with 21" tires.
3.) I'm wondering if I need more torque but, I'm in FL and it's flat. Considering gear ratio and HP increase this should be about 40% more HP than existing setup.

Any feedback or guidance is appreciated.
Thanks
EJFleming68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: High Speed Rear End?

Are You sure the new axle is 6.25:1?

If You tested that by physically rotating one wheel while keeping the other wheel stationary You will get half of the ratio.

The standard club car Graziano ratio is 12.315:1
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
EJFleming68
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: High Speed Rear End?

Sergio, you are right. I wasn't paying attention.
The rear end was on the floor in may garage. I marked one brake drum and spun the motor input shaft. I neglected to check that the other brake drum was spinning... it was dragging on the ground.

It's great to have a forum like this to check things like this. I would have ended up with a really slow cart!
EJFleming68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car