lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Warranty?

I bought a 08 Precedent 4X12V a couple of months ago and it has been great. It is driven some everyday and charged several times a week. I check the water everyother week. It was on the charger a couple nights ago and I took it off the next morning. My son drove it to the neighbors house(less than half a mile) and it was fine. When he came home it started going really slow(it has speed code 4). It wouldnt make it up my drive. The battery light never came on and I know it could be broken because I have never seen it on but I don't let it get that low. He flipped the switch to "tow" and drug it to the house and put it on the charger. The charger never came on. I checked all the cells and they look good. I disconnected each battery and tried to charge them with my regular charger. They will not take a charge. How could all 4 go bad that quick? It seemed fine going to the neighbors and dead on the way back? How long is the warranty on the stock CC Trojan batteries? Do they cover the second owner or only the original owner?

Thanks!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Warranty?

Just read another post here and it said if they are dead then use a real charger and shock them back to life. I charged them on 20 amps but should I try the rapid charge at 55 amps?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

NO! If you have a battery problem 55 amps can cause it to explode. Let's get a voltage reading on each battery as well as specific gravity readings of each cell with a decent quality hydrometer.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gornoman,

Sorry, I tried the 55amp before I read your post. It did jump them back to life! I hooked up all the cables and the cart took off like it should. Drove it about 100 yds then brought it back to the house. Put it on the CC charger and nothing! Just a click in the charger when it was plugged into the cart but no hum. Got to looking at my charger and noticed the power cord where it goes in the back of the charger was pulled out a bit. I looked in the side vent and noticed that the lead on the bottom side of the reset button was popped off. I opened it up and reconnected the lead and then tried. Everything looked good for a few seconds, click then hum and them click, and then the reset tripped. Pushed in the reset again and it tripped again within abour 5 seconds. Do you think it is my charger? I can pick one up from a buddy and try it on my cart but I don't want to mess up someone elses charger if it is the cart doing it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Colby, the statement "shocked them back to life" is very vague without any voltage readings before and after. I suspect something else is going on with your cart. By all means if you have access to another correct charger I would try it out. The cart cannot hurt the charger, it is protected.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Angry Re: Battery Warranty?

When I checked them, they were all 9-10V. After charging each battery at 20 amps for 12 hours, I couldn't get one higher than 11V. After I hit ea h of them with 55 amps, they all went to around 12.7V and took a full charge. I will. Check it with another charger when I get home this evening.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Shifter
Not Yet Wild

sounds like the charger failed and the car wasn't charging , if the breaker keeps popping it most likely is a failed rectifier.
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
sounds like the charger failed and the car wasn't charging , if the breaker keeps popping it most likely is a failed rectifier.
What the heck is a rectifier and how does it fail? Tried to charge it again this evening and the reset popped again! I couldn't get another charger today to try it. I will take it to a dealer in town tomorrow and try one of his chargers. Can the rectifier be replaced and are they expensive?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
What the heck is a rectifier and how does it fail? Tried to charge it again this evening and the reset popped again! I couldn't get another charger today to try it. I will take it to a dealer in town tomorrow and try one of his chargers. Can the rectifier be replaced and are they expensive?
A rectifier just happens to be the cheapest component inside the charger... Should be somewhere around the 10-15 dollar range.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
golfcar guy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You questioned the battery warranty, well here it is. Club Car battery warranty is good for 4years or 20000 Energy Units (think of this an electronic version of the speed odometer). The warranty is transferable to a second owner if the car is purchased before the end of the third year of service. Second warranty registration must be submitted to Club Car by a CC dealer. He might be able to give you a more detailed version of the warranty.
golfcar guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car