lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
SteveZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool 1988 Marathon Electric EZGO Questions...

Hey Guys, I aquired a hand me down golf cart and have been debating on putting money into it to make it what I want or selling it and starting from scratch. Its runs but for only 10 minutes (batteries are 9 years old). So I know its a given the batterys need to be replaced. Would like the put the Jakes 4" Lift kit on it with 10" Wheels w/ larger tires. This is a Florida cart, the steel body is still in great shape.

So here are my questions.....

How durable are these old resistor carts?

Can the motors handle turning larger tires?

Can the motor be rebuilt?

Would like to upgrade the charging system, is it possible to just switch to a newer style Powerwise charger and just change out the recepticle or is there more involved?

Do these cart typically have enough torque to pull a dump cart full of dirt/mulch up small hills?

Basically going to use this cart as a garden/lanscape cart around the house and will be running a 1/2 mile down to the beach and back.

Before I dump $1000-$1500 into it I want to make sure it will last me 5-10 years without having to constantly dump more cash into it.

I appreciate any insight you could give me.
Thanks

Steve
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Marathon Electric EZGO Questions...

Just to let you know that I just put a minimum of 500.00 in the batteries. a lift kit is going to cost you at minimum of 560.00 for a combined kit. A controller box is also a minimum of 350.00 depending on the size..............so if you want to do all this to it, you may be looking at more than 1000-1500. Something to consider.
bss4ced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First off Welcome !! Second you want it to last 5 to 10 years without putting money in to it Anyway, I have an 88 resister cart. I put a 5 inch lift kit on it..80 bucks off ebay. new batteries..500 from Costco..10 inch rims and 22 inch nobby wheels 400 off ebay. The lift kit is simple and good for gravel and dirt roads. You should be more worried about stopping on steep hills, but last time I checked Florida had no hills and Space Mtn. was the second tallest mountain in Florida....so you should be fine. If you don't let kids on it..the cart will last many years. There is not much too it to break. I upgraded to 4gauge wire (jumper cables from Lowes) and replaced the solenoid (20 bucks ebay). New set off coils on a board new board 70 bucks. The original coils were still good, the board broke while changing the cables. The cart will do what you say you want to use it for. I drive mine around my small farm and to take the trash cans out about a 1/2 mile down the road. I don't have a cart but it should pull it. I would try pulling the cart before buying the wheels. Bigger wheels will reduce your pull.

good luck
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
SteveZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, just wanted to be sure its worth a rebuild and mod.
I know there are some shaky years in all brands of carts and wanted to be sure an 88 isn't on of them. I have heard it is a bit of a weird year as far as parts go. Not quite like an 87 or 89.
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have not had trouble finding parts. Most times I get the parts free off other cart It is upgrading that is a problem. No one seems to make front brakes for 22 year old golf carts..go figure
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO