lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default Tips on replacing crank seals 90 3pg

Hello after attempting to install a hei ignitor I got a few nasty backfires. I notice a few puffs of smok coming out from under the engine near the clutch when these back fires happened.
I installed the original ignitor back in and the cart started as it should. After letting the cart sit I noticed sometimes it will just keep turning over and sometimes it will fire up after a few turns. Its definitely not like how it use to be. It use to fire right up when the pedal was pushed.
I tried spraying starting fluid near the seal behind the clutch and still nothing. I tried as well in the flywheel cover. As far as I know these seals are original.
Now I have a few questions.
First I installed a new fuel pump. Could a backfire damage the diaphragm inside the pump or should that still be okay?
Second I have never replaced seals before and have done some research.
What's the easiest way to remove them? Besides cleaning the area is there any certain prep that should be done? I've heard people using green loctite and punching the edges? How do you apply the loctite?
I've had the clutch off and engine out before so no questions there.
But I have never removed the flywheel shroud. Any certain procedures to remove the fan. Pulsar etc?
The cart equally acts like this the same in forward and reverse.
If anyone could give me some advice much appreciated.
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Tips on replacing crank seals 90 3pg

Okay guys I was able to find a manual 89-93 with detailed instructions on the flywheel etc. But still need advice on removal prep and reinstall w/ loctite?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfastcar View Post
Okay guys I was able to find a manual 89-93 with detailed instructions on the flywheel etc. But still need advice on removal prep and reinstall w/ loctite?
It says in the manual you don't have to split the case to change the seals but it seems like it would be quite the trick as at least mine were in there pretty good. I knocked them out with a socket and a mallet from the back side after I got the bearings out.
redm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Seal puller to remove seals from the out side it's a great tool you run the screw into the seal and use the slid hammer to pull the seal out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180514-213235.jpg (14.2 KB, 0 views)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 AM   #5
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys dont think I'll have a problem removing them. More confused on the install. Blue or green loctite? And where at? Lube the inside diameter? Also I understand staking the edges with a punch but not to show exactly where.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I used green because it has a strong strength, and it was available at work.
Do not put it on the inside diameter. The seal has a metal outer shell, and an inner rubber seal. Put the Loctite on the outside of the metal shell where it makes contact with the bore of the engine case. DO NOT SLOP IT ON. Do not get any on the bearing. Do not get any on the rubber seal.

When you stake it in, you will ding the aluminum case of the engine around the edge of the seal. Just enough to make a little bulge in the edge of the case. The bulge will help hold the seal.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Now before i reassemble this I took a picture of the pulsar plate. I have no idea if anyone has touched this before but it seems like it was advanced in timing. The book says the slots should be dead center on the screw heads. The timing mark on the plate before I took it apart was set to the center of the screw head. Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180516_171555.jpg (302.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180516_173747.jpg (219.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 2-pg book says to center the screws. A few months back there was a discussion about the 3-pg being offset.

Since you are using a 3-pg book that says to center the screws, that's exactly what I would do.

I found it. Read through this. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-ezgo-3pg.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Hmm I wonder if it being like this (advanced) is the reason the hei ignitor caused a bunch of backfires...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO