lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #71
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Tomberlin Lift Kit Info

Just a little bit of warning regarding the Tomberlin lift kit... As I go about putting it together, I am finding that the quality control of the kit and instructions is lacking. Pictures are not very clear and at times you are left guessing how to finish a particular step- especially when it comes to which bolt/nut to use. The directions mention using a brass colored bolt, but there are none- only black or silver. The worst part is some of the holes are not drilled properly and thus do not line up. I ran into this when remounting the front brake calipers- the holes in the new piece to which they mount are incorrectly drilled and I had to drill them out to allow the calipers to be mounted. These holes were only off by about 2mm, so I was able to fix it, but I am working on the rear of the cart, and those holes are off by at least 50mm! Has anyone installed this lift kit and run across these issues?
Miznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #72
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Follow up to this last post...
After finally getting the kit installed, I ran into the following issues:
Front brake calipers mounting bracket holes do not match
Parking brake cable is not nearly long enough to accommodate the rear lift
Sway bar on rear will not fit after installation
I contacted Tomberlin's head of support, and was told the only lift kit Tomberlin makes is not really made to fit a 2010, despite them advertising that it does. The newer models use different brake calipers and do not have a manual parking brake. I had to cut the parking brake cable in order to install the rear lift and Tomberlin does not make a longer cable. I can live with drilling out the holes to make the brakes fit, but without a parking brake, I am unable to use my cart as my home course is very hilly. Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do to overcome? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #73
lowranceb
Not Yet Wild

I just called today and was told the kit is not available due to design issues and it would only fit the 2010 and up model. Mine is an 08.
lowranceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #74
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

The fact that they are STILL claiming it fits a 2010 is just sad... I promise it does NOT fit a 2010! I have spent almost $500 for installation due to the issues that have arisen from this kit. I will withhold my comments on Tomberlin customer service, as we are involved in a dialogue to see what kind of recourse they can provide for this trouble. I am REALLY regretting not buying a Club Car or EZ Go...
Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #75
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Follow up- not that anyone asked or is following... Tomberlin finally responded, but only after I brought a lawyer into the conversation. Very basic case of them selling me something that is not meant for my cart. They asked me why I didn't just return the lift kit when I found out it didn't fit? After putting in 40 hours of work and drilling a few extra holes, I was "past the point of no return." It would have been a nightmare to remove the whole thing and reassemble my cart- and my brake calipers would not have fit properly. They said the would get back to me, and in true fashion, have blown me off for almost 2 weeks. I am not a litigious person, and I am only asking for them to cover my expenses to modify the kit- am I asking too much? What would you all do in my situation? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #76
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miznitch View Post
Follow up- not that anyone asked or is following... Tomberlin finally responded, but only after I brought a lawyer into the conversation. Very basic case of them selling me something that is not meant for my cart. They asked me why I didn't just return the lift kit when I found out it didn't fit? After putting in 40 hours of work and drilling a few extra holes, I was "past the point of no return." It would have been a nightmare to remove the whole thing and reassemble my cart- and my brake calipers would not have fit properly. They said the would get back to me, and in true fashion, have blown me off for almost 2 weeks. I am not a litigious person, and I am only asking for them to cover my expenses to modify the kit- am I asking too much? What would you all do in my situation? Thanks!
Is it done? How about some pictures?
shawn01754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #77
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

It is done, and I think it is GORGEOUS!!! I get a lot of compliments on it, and I really do love my cart- despite my broken windshield Installation was a bit of a nightmare, and I have to be honest, the ride is a bit more bumpy- especially in the rear, but I think that's true of most lifted carts... We have to suffer for beauty!

Tomberlin is still blowing me off- I was told I am the first person to ever attempt to put their lift kit on a 2010, and it should not have been sold to me in the first place. I asked 3 separate times before I bought it, and was told it would fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomberlin1.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tomberlin2.jpg (70.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tomberlin3.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #78
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

That is a nice looking beast! I know it was a lot of hard work and ingenuity. Thanks for keeping the forum posted, and me as well.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #79
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miznitch View Post
It is done, and I think it is GORGEOUS!!! I get a lot of compliments on it, and I really do love my cart- despite my broken windshield Installation was a bit of a nightmare, and I have to be honest, the ride is a bit more bumpy- especially in the rear, but I think that's true of most lifted carts... We have to suffer for beauty!

Tomberlin is still blowing me off- I was told I am the first person to ever attempt to put their lift kit on a 2010, and it should not have been sold to me in the first place. I asked 3 separate times before I bought it, and was told it would fit.

WOW! Looks awsome. Knowing seems to be half the battle sometimes. I wonder If i can put that into my 2008?Anyone know what the difference is between 2008, 2010 and the 2018? Did you find longer brake cables? I noticed the ghosthawk has a nice lift. I wonder if some of those parts will fit the older stuff. To bad there isnt a kit, its a great cart. Just had it doing 26MPH down the street
shawn01754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #80
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Thank you- it was definitely a labor of love! I am not mechanically inclined, but my buddy is, so I used this experience as a way of hands-on learning... Unfortunately, I ended up having to take it to a mechanic anyways

I had to have a mechanic fabricate a longer parking brake cable- Tomberlin doesn't make a longer one.

I don't know about a 2008, but I do know there are subtle differences in the 2010, which didn't allow this kit to fit properly. They use different front brake calipers, so the holes don't align, and of course, the manual parking brake is no longer used after 2010. The rear stabilizer bar is also a bit off, so more drilling... Don't get me started on the asinine brake bleeding procedure

Overall, I love the look of the lift, but I have nothing good to say about Tomberlin as a company- I tried for 2 months to resolve the error they made, but I keep hearing "we will get back to you" only to be blown off again and again. They make a good cart, but customer service is abysmal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin