lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
Kbirdjr
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Emerge 500 - click when pressing accelerator

I have a 2010 Emerge 500 that only has about 300 miles on it. It has sat with dead batteries for the past 3 years and I finally got around to replacing them last weekend. I replaced them with Duracell GC8s, replaced all of the cables between the batteries as they were pretty corroded. The old batteries had leaked and there was a lot of white powder (battery acid) on the bottom of the cart and it was covered in dust so after I removed the old batteries I did wash everything. Installed the new batteries and cables, charged overnight, flipped the switch to RUN, jumped in, pressed the accelerator pedal and just a click from somewhere underneath. Sounds like it might be a solenoid, but not sure. It clicks when pressing the pedal and then after releasing it I can hear another click, like it is re-setting. Lights, horn, and windshield wiper all work, just won't go. I am pretty good with traditional cars but don't really know where to start with this. I do have a volt meter but have not had a chance to check voltage to different components. I would greatly appreciate and guidance.
Kbirdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2010 Emerge 500 - click when pressing accelerator

A tomberlin that has sat for 3 years and only has 300 miles, chances are good, the motor brushes are stuck in the holders. Easy fix, by just removing the motor, unstick the brushes and re-assemble.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

What he said.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Kbirdjr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestion. It will be a couple of weeks before I have time to look at it but I will try that.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Kbirdjr
Not Yet Wild

Well the couple of weeks turned into a couple of months but I finally had time to look at the goof cart today. Had to remove the motor and pull all brushes out with channel locks, lubed them, cleaned out the holders, and reinstalled everything. It didn’t make much diffkerence at first but after I gave a push start it finally started to studded a little. Eventually it cleared up and runs good. I think maybe the armature was dirty also and had to get cleaned off once the brushes were making contact. Now i just have to get the brakes working again, they somehow went south while it was setting. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
jarodmallen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbirdjr View Post
Well the couple of weeks turned into a couple of months but I finally had time to look at the goof cart today. Had to remove the motor and pull all brushes out with channel locks, lubed them, cleaned out the holders, and reinstalled everything. It didn’t make much diffkerence at first but after I gave a push start it finally started to studded a little. Eventually it cleared up and runs good. I think maybe the armature was dirty also and had to get cleaned off once the brushes were making contact. Now i just have to get the brakes working again, they somehow went south while it was setting. Thanks for the help.

How laborious was removing the motor? I just purchased my 2010 a few months ago and it had sat since March and the batteries were toast. I just put new batts in today and it’s making this same click when pressing the accelerator.

Did you get the brakes fixed also? My pedal hits the floor. I think I may need to just bleed them based on some other threads I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jarodmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have same problem but i purchased it non running. I tested motor w a jump box and it works in both directions. That being said could the brushes be stuck on my cart also or as long as motor tested good do i need to check solenoid?
Purpleharley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
POCTransplant
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodmallen View Post
How laborious was removing the motor? I just purchased my 2010 a few months ago and it had sat since March and the batteries were toast. I just put new batts in today and it’s making this same click when pressing the accelerator.

Did you get the brakes fixed also? My pedal hits the floor. I think I may need to just bleed them based on some other threads I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not that big of a pain to pull the motor, but you have to jack the rear end up so you can get under it. Chock the front tires and set the rear axles on jack stands. I just had to do this to mine. I was having the exact same problem. I was able to get my old batteries to hold about 47.5v and the cart would only go 12mph after cleaning the brushes/armature, so I put new batteries in it. Still only goes 12.5mph. The hunt continues.
POCTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
npgolf
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Hey guys, new to the site. This is the exact thing that's happened to my 2010 Tomberlin. Any step by step to remove the motor and cleaning the brushes? I don't want to ruin anything and make it a bigger issue.

I can't believe how Tomberlin has little information on the Internet for fixes. Thanks!
npgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #10
POCTransplant
Not Yet Wild

My brushes were stuck, but my ultimate speed limiting problem was the a bad speed sensor on the end of the motor. Changed that out after cleaning the brushes and she runs like a champ! Sorry, I don’t really have any step by step instructions for motor disassembly. There are a few videos on YouTube that give you the idea of what needs to be done to take it apart. P.S. all off these parts on the 2010’s are club car parts, which makes it easier to find. Went to a dealer and bought my sensor. I did have a little sticker shock, though. Lol
POCTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin