lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
Big O
Not Yet Wild

Default Tomberlin Troubles. Hope some one can help.

I have a 2010 Tomberlin Emerge with a motor controller issue. here is the back ground. bought from p.o. as in op. they had problems with it and gave up .
they sent the controller in and it came back as ok. they put back together and gave up.
I bought it. found that the bearings were bad in the motor. the armature had dead shorted into the fields. replaced motor with a new unit. installed new batteries and a voltage reducer. took it for a ride . everything worked great. the only thing that did not work is the one side of the key switch to set it for high or low speed. that did not bother me as it still runs 21mph by the electronic speedo. I think it runs faster than the speedo reads.
A friend and neighbor saw it, liked it ,offered me the right $$ for it ,I sold it.
He trailers it out to his place on an Island unloads it parks it in the garage and thats it , won't move .he charged it . nothing.
I go out to check it out . go through all the trouble shooting in the service manual. I find the controller is flashing a 3.3 code( low voltage on start up. ) send the controller in to be repaired . they find 3 separate issues . I don't know what they were. get it back together. all is well again. I go home. the thing runs for all of 5 miles, maybe. witch is no more than I ran it be for I sold it. It died in exactly the same way. it flashes a 3.3 code again.

The controller is a Curtis 1268-5505
I did find the F+ and the F- are reversed. after discussing this with the controller tech he and I both felt this would be ok as that only changes the polarity in the fields.
I am thinking now about replacing the controller , but can't find an exact replacement. I can find 1268 series but not the 5505 . I have found other controllers with 5501,5504,5507,5509 numbers .
does anyone know for sure if they are interchangeable ?
should I be looking for another problem ?
I also found that the controller has been labeled re manufactured. this leads me to believe this is not the first problem like this it has had.

any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Tomberlin Troubles. Hope some one can help.

OK back up.

New motor? is it a tomberlin motor? or just one that bolts in?

On a side note, do you still have the old tomberlin motor?

Your correct on the controller issue, its bad. Who rebuilt it?
Good rebuilder and you wont have an issue. If you used a good rebuilder, then you fixed the problem, but not the cause of the problem.

That's a major fault to take the controller out, major short.
Only time Ive seen that is when the motor is indexed wrong when it is put in. Cart goes over a bump, and the motor terminals hit the back side of the mounting plate of the controller. Easy check, just look at the back of that aluminum plate, youll see where it hit and left a burn mark.

let me know
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin