lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
ringkingpin
Not Yet Wild

Default Has anyone seen the Silverwolf AC conversion kit?!

THIS would be nuts, lol. Lighter, more range, gobs more torque and more speed. My cart is doing 37mph right now at 5750rpm. This thing spins at 8K! That would be a 50mph cart! The rear end would probably just melt

https://www.silverwolfmotors.com/pro...agnet-ac-motor
ringkingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2021, 02:56 AM   #2
Ghostman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Has anyone seen the Silverwolf AC conversion kit?!

I just ordered it and hope to have it installed next week. I can report back how it does. My friend has one already. I had an EZGO 18" tires, no lift, stock motor and alltrax controller. He can walk away from me like I was standing still. Incredibly fast.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
Murby
Gone Wild

840 amp controller?

You would need a custom built lithium battery specifically designed to deliver that kind of power. And at 48 to 52 volts (14s or 16s) configuration, that would be a tight fit into the battery tray.

There are very few lithium battery profiles capable of that kind of delivery.. and the cells which are capable of putting out 200 or 300 amps, are usually large flat pouch cells, of which you would have to parallel 3 to 4 of them, then stack 14 in series.

I could be done, but not with just any commonly available cell, You'd need specific EV cells for it. Even a Chevy VOLT battery won't pump that kind of juice. The SPIM08 cells would do it, but you'd need 5 in parallel, which, by the time you got to a 14s pack, I doubt it would fit in the battery compartment.

I wonder if a bank of super capacitors in parallel with a battery bank would work.. You'd need some special electronics to limit their inrush current when they started soaking up amps from the battery.. Things would get complicated.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
I just ordered it and hope to have it installed next week. I can report back how it does. My friend has one already. I had an EZGO 18" tires, no lift, stock motor and alltrax controller. He can walk away from me like I was standing still. Incredibly fast.
I've seen the list price on their website. Is that the price you paid or do they give you a break?
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:59 AM   #5
Ghostman
Not Yet Wild

That’s the price I paid is the list price on their website. They are very good to work with. Answered phone and email etc.

My friend runs his on the Roypow 105ah pack. He has the controller amp limited at around 95 amps to keep the roypow from cutting off. Like all the controllers, the 840 amps is surge. He said the most amps it would likely draw continuous would be around 200-250(of course all that depends on multiple factors). It can be ran with FLA also. In fact I have a brand new set of FLA Trojans that I will be running it with so I can let you know how it does.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM   #6
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
In fact I have a brand new set of FLA Trojans that I will be running it with so I can let you know how it does.
FLA golf cart batteries are only good for a bit north of 200 to 225 amps..

A regular automobile starting battery for a large diesel truck might be able to do it, but not a deep cycle golf cart battery.

The guys who designed that 840 amp controller must have either built in some extra capacity for robustness knowing it would never be used, or its some kind of marketing gimmick. Because anyone with the education to design a controller like that is going to know full well that there isn't a commonly available battery out there that's going to deliver that kind of juice AND fit inside a golf cart battery bay.

840 amps coming out of a 48v battery is a bit over 40 kilowatts of juice.. Even half of that is just utterly ridiculous..
Old 05-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
emoney
Not Yet Wild

I kinda lean toward the "marketing thing" since "amps" are what everyone seems to focus on in Controllers. End of the day, it's voltage that gains the speed and the current the torque.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I thought Silver Wolf made (one of their products) front wheel drive cart motors as well.....to turn a cart into 4WD?

I looked on their web site and find nothing really mentioned about 4WD.....except the initial pic. But no links to the 4WD motors.

Odd.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I wonder how this will do with 48v 80ah Allied Lithium pack?
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #10
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I wonder how this will do with 48v 80ah Allied Lithium pack?
Probably the same as it would do with any other battery until such time as you reached the battery's discharge limits.

Battery amp hours are battery amp hours. Ignoring the DOD limits and mass between the different chemistries, a 50 amp-hour battery is going to take you the same number of miles as any other 50 amp-hour battery.

Beyond the life cycle, the real difference lies in the nominal voltage and the maximum current the battery can deliver.

I think the biggest obstacle with these high amp motor controllers is that the controller is capable of utilizing more amperage than the batteries are capable of delivering.
This is why the folks with the 72 volt systems do so much better. Their battery cells aren't capable of delivering any more current than the guy running at 52 volts, but since power (Watts or Joules) is a function of I x E (current multiplied by voltage), that 72 volts delivers a lot more power even though the maximum current remains the same.

52 volts x 100 amps = 5.2 kW
72 volts x 100 amps = 7.2 kW.

My money is on the 7.2kW guy winning the race.. well.. so long as all that juice doesn't shear something off inside his differential.

The one nice thing I think I like about the Allied Batteries is that they are wired in parallel.. While they are ridiculously expensive, if one battery goes bad for some reason, you can still run your cart while its being repaired..

Redundancy is expensive.. but it does keep you going.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car