lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default New to me golf cart club car. Need a little help here

Hello all

just picked up this golf cart today. I believe it is a 96 carryall 1.
Can somebody please post a picture of the airbox and Battery. They had some rig job in here that I just took out but I'm not sure what supposed to go back in here.
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: New to me golf cart club car. Need a little help here

I think CP241 might have one a pic of that, hopefully he'll see your post and chime in.

It should have the same airbox as the regular DS cart from that time. That airbox will probably be a little difficult to find, I'm not sure anyone makes a new one like that anymore.

The battery should be a group 70 side post battery. About 500 CCA.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks a bunch for the reply.
The airbox had a big hole in it..I was able to fix that. Ordered a new battery yesterday.
Cleaning the fuel system now, hopefully she runs once the battery gets here. Seems like the compression is really low, I can turn the main clutch with very little effort, but if I'm correct these motors have a compression relief valve. I'll know more shortly just waiting on the battery
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Your 96 shouldnt have compression release unless it is key start, which I dont believe existed in 96, but I may be wrong. If so, FT4M can correct me (as usual )

You should have 160-170psi compression. Make sure to hold the carb wide open with your hand while testing, dont rely on the pedal. If the compression is low, these engines are really cheap and easy to rebuild

I can take a pic of the airbox, orientation, etc in my 93 in a bit. Mine even still has the rubber strap for the airbox
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A carryall 1 should more than likely have an FE290 which would not have a compression release.
These things are way easy to turn by hand even when the compression is perfect, so it's hard to tell if the compression is low just spinning the clutch.
Also keep in mind it's a 4 stroke engine so it only makes compression every 2nd full revolution of the crankshaft.
Also assuming it's the original engine a 96 should have a counter clockwise rotation engine, so spinning it clockwise by hand will result in little or no compression resistance.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes I believe it is the 290. Definitely has no compression. Got air fuel and Fire but will not fire up. I pulled the motor out this afternoon and replaced it with a 350 that I had laying around. The only difference is the 350 is from a newer car so it does not have the rev limiter. Can someone tell me what I do with the coil wire without the rev limiter? Thanks for any help. Also I got the air box thing figure it out. I also have the rubber strap that holds the airbox down
Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You might want to check with these guys on the rotation of that newer motor.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The opposite rotation will be fine, but forward and reverse will be opposite the shifter position.

I believe some of the newer FE350 had the rev limiter built into the coil. You would just need to hook the kill wire directly to the coil kill instead of running through the rev limiter. I had one of those I put into a DS. But my coil was junk so I swapped it with an older one I had laying around and installed a rev limiter. That motor also had manually adjustable valves instead of HLA's in most FE350's
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here’s link to the illustrated parts manual, it shows what parts go where and the part numbers.

https://mobilicab.com/F4hxm7zhX073ecq/1996-CARRYALL.pdf

If you’re looking for any parts contact David Hicks at revolution golf cars he can get you any of the club car parts you’re needing.

This is the air box setup on 1996 carryall 1.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A010667C-716C-463A-97B6-349DE7F1BD85.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you all for your help and replies, much appreciated.
Got the Motor in and pretty much all hooked up. There's a couple parts that I had to order I'm just waiting on them in the mail. I will update post once I get everything in and strap down and put together.

Ant.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car