lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
cbe919
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine cutting off

I have an older Gas club cart. A few days ago the cart would not start and it sounded like it wasn't getting fire. I checked the spark plug and coil and both are sparking, I went ahead and changed the plug while I had it out. The compression is good and the fuel pump seems to be working, I unhooked it and gas comes through the line. i checked the drain screw on the bottom of where the gas goes in before the carb and gas was in there. After doing all of this it started and ran for about 5 minutes around the yard and then cut off like it had ran out of gas. Also this cable/ hose in the pic looks like it should go somewhere but I am not sure if it is some time of vacuum that hangs or it fell off of something, thanks for any help or advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3097.jpg (210.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.jpg (228.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3094.jpg (225.0 KB, 0 views)
cbe919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Engine cutting off

The hose is the bowl vent line for the carb. It goes on a little nipple on the top front of the carb body. You can remove it and make sure it's clear. If that hose is blocked the bowl will build pressure inside and can air lock, keeping fuel from getting into the bowl properly.

Most of the time a random shut-off is spark related. Keep a spare spark plug with you on the cart. Run it until it shuts off and then remove the plug wire and stick the spark plug in the end, and lay it on the motor where it's touching bare metal. Crank it and see if it has a big bright blue spark. If the spark is yellow or orange colored, or is not consistent, the coil is failing.

What year is that cart?

You can also check to see if the rev limiter is failing and killing the spark. The rev limiter is the small black box mounted on the front of the engine. There's a brown wire on it that is attached to the mount bracket. Remove the brown wire from the bracket and tape it off so it can't touch anything metal and see if it still has the problem. If so the rev limiter is failing. Most of the time it's not worth it to replace the limiter (they're dog-awful expensive). As long as the governor is adjusted properly it's not an issue. But if you have the governor modified to make the cart go faster, you may want to install a tachometer to make sure you don't over-rev the engine and blow it up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
JohnnyG67
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Engine cutting off

I agree with Fairtax. I think your coil is failing... I just ran into this issue on an 06 that I'm restoring for my buddy. Did the complete tune-up including fuel lines/pump. ran like a beast for maybe 10 min. and just died like you say feels like it runs outta fuel. When the coil heats up as engine gets up to temp spark starts to break down and it dies... wait ten min for it to cool and fires right up again. The coil is a pain to get to but is an easy replacement. My buddy's rev limiter was already bypassed btw. He wanted everything back to stock so I did replace the limiter along with the coil. Problem solved...
JohnnyG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car