lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default VRX460 valve springs

Which valve springs should I run with the Vegas carts torque cam, the stock 35lb valve springs or the 50lb blue stripe single springs from NR racing. They recommend single valve springs with this cam. I will not be running govenor and also have stainless valves and the titanium keeps for the motor.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: VRX460 valve springs

I have been running the gold colored VC supplied comp cams units since 2016. I have the torque cam and 1.3 NR shaft mounted rockers. All has been good up to 5600 rpms even with the heavier slip lock retainers on the stock valves. I just looked at the NR supplied 6500 rpm valve kit and those springs appear to be the comp cams units.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

https://www.nrracing.com/product-p/3...tripe-pair.htm These are the ones I am talking about. They are gold in color on the site but the ones I received are black and have 1 blue stripe painted on them.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Upon further inspection the blue stripe units ARE included in the 6500 RPM kit from NR. So when I install the kit I will use those.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Valve spring pressure or lbs is determined by the type cam your running - lift - duration and max rpm plus the weight of the valve train parts. The VC torque cam uses the 32-35 lb springs which will close the valve up to 6000 rpm as advertised. I've used them in all my engines - using anything heavier - 50 or 65 lbs only beats up the cam - lifters - pushrods - rocker arms and starter. There would be no advantage using heavier. The valve train should be as light pressured as possible - enough to close the valve.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sheppard thank you. This is what I was starting to contemplate in my head that they maybe overkill and just accelerating the wear. I will use the 35lb springs.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Sheppard thank you. This is what I was starting to contemplate in my head that they maybe overkill and just accelerating the wear. I will use the 35lb springs.
I bought my hemi head complete with valves, springs and keepers with rocker arms. l replaced the springs with VC 32 lb springs - VC's springs were much thicker then the originals. They have automotive style valve keepers. They will work great installed in a engine that turns less then 6000 rpm. When you look on DynoCams site - as the lift goes up - the spring pressure goes up and the target rpm goes up too.

Matt - what is your max rpm going to be? What is your operating rpm when your cruising? Are you going for hi speed gearing? What is you cruising mph? These were all the questions that got answered with my first build. There going to make the next build faster yet.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
I bought my hemi head complete with valves, springs and keepers with rocker arms. l replaced the springs with VC 32 lb springs - VC's springs were much thicker then the originals. They have automotive style valve keepers. They will work great installed in a engine that turns less then 6000 rpm. When you look on DynoCams site - as the lift goes up - the spring pressure goes up and the target rpm goes up too.

Matt - what is your max rpm going to be? What is your operating rpm when your cruising? Are you going for hi speed gearing? What is you cruising mph? These were all the questions that got answered with my first build. There going to make the next build faster yet.
This is going to be a new motor going into a new cart. My ds with the 420 predator I did the mods to the valve train to remove the govenor and I never did it. On this new motor I will not be using the govenor. I’d like to be in the 30mph range. I have 23” tires and stock club car gears. Running normal rotation (ccw rear end) obviously won’t be holding it down for long periods but I think somewhere in the 5-6k should get me where I want to be.

The parts I have so far for the vrx460 build are:
8 degree offset timing key
35lb and 50lb single valve springs (gonna use the 35lb)
NR racing shaft mounted 1.3 billet roller rockers
VC torque cam
Stainless valves
Titanium keepers
Chromoly push rods
The stock billet rod and flat top piston
ARC 180000 psi rod bolts
I have the 18a oem honda coil and flywheel from your sticky for charging
Governor is removed
NR billet machined valve cover
Mikuni vm32-193 round slide carb
Assorted jets for tuning
I have a 1-1/4” stainless free flowing exhaust
Autolite AR3910X Spark Plug

I am going to polish the ports on the head this next week or so with the dremel if I can get some time. Also kicking around milling .060-.075” off the head..

I feel this should be obtainable with these components. I do want something that is going to last. The predator has been going strong for 7 years or so and have been happy with it I just want a little more speed and this is going into a carryall cart for working around the house so the extra power will be nice.

For clutches I will be using the 780r drive clutch and the invance hd driven clutch offered by Vegas carts.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think I used the heavy spring from VC, whatever Geoff sells. Never had any issues, just a little noisy.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
This is going to be a new motor going into a new cart. My ds with the 420 predator I did the mods to the valve train to remove the govenor and I never did it. On this new motor I will not be using the govenor. I’d like to be in the 30mph range. I have 23” tires and stock club car gears. Running normal rotation (ccw rear end) obviously won’t be holding it down for long periods but I think somewhere in the 5-6k should get me where I want to be.

The parts I have so far for the vrx460 build are:
8 degree offset timing key
35lb and 50lb single valve springs (gonna use the 35lb)
NR racing shaft mounted 1.3 billet roller rockers
VC torque cam
Stainless valves
Titanium keepers
Chromoly push rods
The stock billet rod and flat top piston
ARC 180000 psi rod bolts
I have the 18a oem honda coil and flywheel from your sticky for charging
Governor is removed
NR billet machined valve cover
Mikuni vm32-193 round slide carb
Assorted jets for tuning
I have a 1-1/4” stainless free flowing exhaust
Autolite AR3910X Spark Plug

I am going to polish the ports on the head this next week or so with the dremel if I can get some time. Also kicking around milling .060-.075” off the head..

I feel this should be obtainable with these components. I do want something that is going to last. The predator has been going strong for 7 years or so and have been happy with it I just want a little more speed and this is going into a carryall cart for working around the house so the extra power will be nice.

For clutches I will be using the 780r drive clutch and the invance hd driven clutch offered by Vegas carts.
30 mph should be no problem. With that setup you'll rev quickly up to and prob past 6000 rpm. Get a good tach. Use a good oil. Better order some assorted jets for your carb, you'll want at least 2 up and 2 down for main and pilot. Mikuni likes to run leaner than richer.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps