lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
hfmanifold
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch issues?

I recently bought a late 90’s club car and it hits the rev limiter a lot earlier than I thought it should at about 8 mph. Trying to diagnose the issues I looked at the clutches and they don’t seem to be opening and closing as far as I would think they should. I am new to gas carts and drive clutches so only reference I have is YouTube videos. I have attached a few photos. I have the throttle fully depressed in the photos. Thought if it could be my problem?

Also I know the belt is suppose to be loose but this belt seems really loose to me.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C8B320DC-7D9B-4C29-AA79-44E9A22ACA56.jpg (114.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg D41EBE2B-898F-45E7-8F1C-4F55F0B5EDD5.jpg (135.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 438575B6-3C56-4015-97FA-72C892D26E47.jpg (135.3 KB, 0 views)
hfmanifold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
wicked872
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch issues?

the belt should be all the way to the top on the drive clutch on the engine and all the way to the bottom on the driven at wide open throttle also a worn drive belt can also compound this issue.
wicked872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
hfmanifold
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. That what I thought but just wanted to check. I have a new belt on order. The belt doesn’t look bad but worth a shot.

Is there a way to check to see which clutch is causing the problem? I took the belt off and ran the motor and the drive clutch shut most of the way in maintenance mode. Wasn’t sure if it’s because driven clutch is the issues or that the drive clutch can work with any resistant on it

Thanks
hfmanifold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That belt is way wrong. Looks to me like the primary is closing all the way an the belt is just the wrong size.
The secondary only opens all the way if the belt is the correct size to pull down all the way between the sheaves. Get an OEM Club Car belt. Many of the cheapo belts don’t fit properly or don’t last. I like the 1017188 heavy duty belt for my carts.

It does look like there is some significant wear on the sheaves of the primary, so if a new belt doesn’t fix it I would replace that primary clutch, and probably disassemble the secondary to replace the buttons and the helix if it’s badly worn.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car