lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Harleylife13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Early 80’s predator 420cc swaps? Where they at?

I’ve got a 1984 club car ds with the factory Kawasaki 341cc. I’m thinking about doing the predator 420 swap. Who’s got write ups, pics, wiring diagrams, and specs on what they’ve done? I want to keep it functional like original with shutting off and starting with the gas pedal.
Harleylife13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Early 80’s predator 420cc swaps? Where they at?

A good place to start is the Vegascarts site that has installation guides with pics.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Harleylife13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unfortunately vc kits don’t go to on’84. I did talk to them and they told me how I could piece it together through them.
I’m now undecided if I want to go with the 420cc or the 670cc.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Would a 670 fit in there ? They show a kit for the VC 460 in the 1984 club car DS with the install guide.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm thinking you'll need a lift kit to install the 670.

Most of the clone projects on this forum will help you get an idea of what's involved to add the 420 to your cart. I don't think you'll find a direct bolt on kit for your cart, it's too old and not as common. Most bolt on kits are for the more popular/more common carts.

You'll have to get an engine and primary clutch. You'll need to fabricate an engine mount. You'll need to position the engine properly to align the belt with the secondary clutch. You'll want to get a new belt, make sure it's long enough to fit your new engine/clutch combo. You'll probably want to do away with the starter/generator and just use a key switch and run the engine like a car. If you use the starter/gen you will have to make sure not to hook up the charging wire from the engine, and you'll need a pulley for your primary clutch.

If you use the gas tank and muffler that come on the 420, the project won't be super complicated. If you want to use your golf cart gas tank it will add some work. Fabricating an exhaust system is one of the more difficult obstacles.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #6
Harleylife13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Would a 670 fit in there ? They show a kit for the VC 460 in the 1984 club car DS with the install guide.
VC claims the 460 kit won’t work with any predator engines.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Harleylife13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I'm thinking you'll need a lift kit to install the 670.

Most of the clone projects on this forum will help you get an idea of what's involved to add the 420 to your cart. I don't think you'll find a direct bolt on kit for your cart, it's too old and not as common. Most bolt on kits are for the more popular/more common carts.

You'll have to get an engine and primary clutch. You'll need to fabricate an engine mount. You'll need to position the engine properly to align the belt with the secondary clutch. You'll want to get a new belt, make sure it's long enough to fit your new engine/clutch combo. You'll probably want to do away with the starter/generator and just use a key switch and run the engine like a car. If you use the starter/gen you will have to make sure not to hook up the charging wire from the engine, and you'll need a pulley for your primary clutch.

If you use the gas tank and muffler that come on the 420, the project won't be super complicated. If you want to use your golf cart gas tank it will add some work. Fabricating an exhaust system is one of the more difficult obstacles.
I do have a 6” double a-arm jakes lift. I recently talk to a few other people and I’m back leaning towards doing a 420 now.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleylife13 View Post
VC claims the 460 kit won’t work with any predator engines.
You didn't read the warning right. They there MAYBE some fitment issues. This usually involves a bracket,carb/ aircleaner, muffler or something along these lines. The basis of all the 390 clones are very similar. Plenty of people here have used all sorts of clones in their swap. SOME have even swapped in a stock hemi unit that bolted in.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Go for it man. Just finished a clone swap in my ‘91 DS and I’m sure it’s fairly close to what your doing. I’m very happy with performance. Couldn’t be happier even. This was a short ride we took and I’m on stock wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If it has the 1" belt and you change the engine clutch to 1 3/16 you may have to replace the rear clutch or have it machined. You can use the original clutch on a clone but they don't work as well and yours may already be worn out.

The stock 420 I put in a G9 Yamaha with only governor removal and jetting on 22 tires would run 31mph gps where it floats the valves. It ran 30 on a good day with stock engine no governor, but the clone gets to speed in 1/3 the distance has a lot more power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps