lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 build with Predator Engine - help

I posted a while ago on the Yamaha forum looking for help...
I came into a G1 freely. It, currently, has a Rotax 640 engine in it that needs some help. The wiring has been torn up and has loose ends and cables.

I have come to terms that my best option is a repower with a 13hp PRedator engine. It has a clutch from the snomobile engine in it. The wiring has been altered to where there is an ignition button on the dash for starting and the gas pedal works. Here is where my need for help comes in. I have read some descriptions of repowers but still don't have a great idea.

Long term, I was looking at a new/nicer Yamaha Bravo engine (so I have reverse) or HF engine and, eventually, find a rear axle with a transmission.

1. Is the 8 HP Harbor Freight engine an option? I have 2 small kids...so I don't need too much power. 8 HP doesn't have electric start. That is why I assume the 13hp is the one.

2. Does the existing primary clutch from the rotax engine work? It is currently set up to work in the golf cart. If not, what should I buy?

3. What is my best option for ignition/gas pedal? How do I make it work as a golf cart instead of a go-Kart?

Thanks in advance. I don't necessarily need the cheapest options...just want something that works well.
Steve Terplak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 build with Predator Engine - help

Engine: The 8hp IMO would not be ideal. It's a 3/4" crank shaft so finding a clutch will be difficult, and using an adapter isn't a great solution. It will be a little under powered for towing, hauling, and going uphill. Go with the 13hp 420.

Clutch: The sled engine has a tapered crankshaft so the clutch will not fit on a straight shaft engine. You'll want the Comet 780. Call one of our sponsors. Money well spent.

Starting: You'll want to keep the electric start on the engine, just reposition the ignition keys etc by lengthening the wires. Don't mix the wires up, use masking tape to mark them well. Unless....you have all the original starter/gen parts from the cart? Those parts would not have been used with the sled engine.

Enticer Engine: It's a good option if you have all the original G1 engine and starter/gen parts. The original G1 bottom end would be used with the cylinder, head, carb of the Enticer 250. I've done it, it runs really good. Not a good option if you want to pull a trailer, haul wood, do work, etc. This setup runs better at a higher rpm and doesn't like to lug at low rpm.

Transaxle: If you can find a transaxle from a Yamaha G2/G9 it is almost a bolt on swap. The mounting holes are in a different position, but can be drilled to fit. The secondary clutch location on the G2/G9 transaxle is located farther to the drivers side, which is perfect for the Predator 420 swap.

Cart: The easiest option is to find a 4 stroke cart without an engine. Yes, it will cost more, but the aggravation of this project will be drastically reduced. I recommend a Yamaha G2/G9 or G16. I also like the EZGO TXT from 1994-on. An EZGO Medalist 4 stroke is also a good cart, say 1986-1993?

Listen, what you are doing with the G1 is not impossible. It is, however, one of the more difficult carts to do a 4 stroke swap. Just consider all the options, not just the "cheapest" option. Sometimes on first examination, the cheapest option looks good. But as you get deeper into the project it ends up costing you as much as buying a running cart for $1500. Something to consider.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is a good explanation of the best options :
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much.
Exactly the info I needed.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Engine: The 8hp IMO would not be ideal. It's a 3/4" crank shaft so finding a clutch will be difficult, and using an adapter isn't a great solution. It will be a little under powered for towing, hauling, and going uphill. Go with the 13hp 420.

Clutch: The sled engine has a tapered crankshaft so the clutch will not fit on a straight shaft engine. You'll want the Comet 780. Call one of our sponsors. Money well spent.

Starting: You'll want to keep the electric start on the engine, just reposition the ignition keys etc by lengthening the wires. Don't mix the wires up, use masking tape to mark them well. Unless....you have all the original starter/gen parts from the cart? Those parts would not have been used with the sled engine.

Enticer Engine: It's a good option if you have all the original G1 engine and starter/gen parts. The original G1 bottom end would be used with the cylinder, head, carb of the Enticer 250. I've done it, it runs really good. Not a good option if you want to pull a trailer, haul wood, do work, etc. This setup runs better at a higher rpm and doesn't like to lug at low rpm.

Transaxle: If you can find a transaxle from a Yamaha G2/G9 it is almost a bolt on swap. The mounting holes are in a different position, but can be drilled to fit. The secondary clutch location on the G2/G9 transaxle is located farther to the drivers side, which is perfect for the Predator 420 swap.

Cart: The easiest option is to find a 4 stroke cart without an engine. Yes, it will cost more, but the aggravation of this project will be drastically reduced. I recommend a Yamaha G2/G9 or G16. I also like the EZGO TXT from 1994-on. An EZGO Medalist 4 stroke is also a good cart, say 1986-1993?

Listen, what you are doing with the G1 is not impossible. It is, however, one of the more difficult carts to do a 4 stroke swap. Just consider all the options, not just the "cheapest" option. Sometimes on first examination, the cheapest option looks good. But as you get deeper into the project it ends up costing you as much as buying a running cart for $1500. Something to consider.
I was thinking this from the beginning...Redoing someones hack job isn't easy.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
Backroadbomber
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a g1 with a 6.5hp predator 212 in it. I’d say it depends on where you’re driving it. Off road and up hills a 420 would probably be your best bet. Mine can accelerate at a good clip with 500lbs worth of adults riding on it, and top speed on flat pavement is 16mph, and that’s with a crappy mini bike torque converter setup. I’m currently re-doing it with golf cart clutches. If you want electric start, I’d say look at tillotson engines. You can get the 212 (same physical size as the predator 212, so easy to fit) with electric start on gopowersports.com for $270. And they’re made to run at a higher rpm from the factory, so they’re rated at 10hp. Here’s a link to a YouTube video i made about my cart, if you’re interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itr701X0OEc
Backroadbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
Steve Terplak
Not Yet Wild

In your g1 build
Do you have reverse? If so- how?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Terplak View Post
In your g1 build
The only way to get reverse on a G1 with a 4 stroke engine is to swap the transaxle to a newer G2/G9 type. I've seen some use an electric starter motor to turn the engine backwards, but that doesn't seem easy.

I ended up buying a G2 that was all used up and rotted away for $400, took the transaxle out, sold the remaining parts for close to $300, boom $100 transaxle. It took some time and effort to sell the parts off, but it worked out.

The transaxle from a G2/G9 is NOT a bolt in deal, but it's close. I ended up using the G2 swing arm and lengthened it 8" to fit my cart. I'm pretty sure you can bolt the transaxle in, but you'll have to drill new holes in the mount brackets. The G2/G9 clutch location will be farther toward the drivers side, which works out well for an engine swap.

You "could" use an ME29 transaxle from and Ezgo, but it will require a little more modification. I've never done it, but was close. I had the ME29 and in my comparisons and evaluation I decided against it. I decided the Yamaha rear transaxle would be easier, would fit better, and they are actually better parts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
Backroadbomber
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Terplak View Post
In your g1 build
Yes, i swapped in an me29 transaxle from an ezgo. “Almost” a direct bolt in, but it’s an inch or two wider so the rear wheels stick out just a tad in the rear. Not terrible looking, but enough to notice.
Backroadbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroadbomber View Post
Yes, i swapped in an me29 transaxle from an ezgo. “Almost” a direct bolt in, but it’s an inch or two wider so the rear wheels stick out just a tad in the rear. Not terrible looking, but enough to notice.
Wider in the rear is a good thing, adds to stability at higher speeds. I had to add 2-1/2" spacers to get mine as wide as needed to match the front suspension.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps