Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
nmcaruso
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default '65 Cushman Golfster Deluxe 36v Adding Blinkers

Good morning, I bought this 1965 Cushman Golfster Deluxe 36v about a year ago (for $100) and have been working on it with my 9 yo son. We cleaned it up, got it working and continue to update the body seats etc.

This model didn't come with any lights etc. so we added everything ourselves. The Brake lights (on pressure switch) and tail lights work as expected. though i cant get the blinkers to work independently. Even with completely separate wiring, (excluding ground) they blink together, like hazards. I've tried a number of different switches.

Does anything stand out as being wired incorrectly? I cant wrap my head around where i may go wrong. My only suspicion is the shared ground, however, there is no other place to ground. I'm using a 36v to 12v converter.

edit**Ive tried to attach photos but i cant include a link until my account has been open for 7 days. any way around this?

Thank you in advance.
nmcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: '65 Cushman Golfster Deluxe 36v Adding Blinkers

is everthing grounded to the batteries or the chassis. I belive all grounds should go to the batteries.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
nmcaruso
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

OK lets try again now that the waiting period is over. Here is the diagram and general progress. Grounded to battery.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nzRbGaykMrjxZjKy7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B1baLUwbVw8jXPci9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nXnnUgH8QDpjt7yB7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bo7gofvKizwYUmr7A

is there a way to make the pictures show up through good photos and to supply more than links?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

When you post, you should see a "manage attachments" button that will allow you to upload them. You may need to click "go advanced" to see the "manage attachments" if you aren't the original poster.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcaruso View Post
This model didn't come with any lights etc. so we added everything ourselves. The Brake lights (on pressure switch) and tail lights work as expected. though i cant get the blinkers to work independently. Even with completely separate wiring, (excluding ground) they blink together, like hazards. I've tried a number of different switches.

Does anything stand out as being wired incorrectly?
It appears from your wiring diagram that your blinkers are wired directly into the brake light wire ... if you the follow the positive blinker wire it connects to the positive brake wire which connects to both brakes lights.

You might be able to get around some of the problem by wiring a diode into each of the brakes wires ... this will prevent the blinker signal from circuiting back to the other brake light. But you will still have a problem when you have your blinker on and you are activating the brake lights ... the blinkers will not work with the brakes lights on.

What you really need is 4 wire lights ... with individual wires for ground, clearance, turn and brake.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
nmcaruso
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

ThreeCW, thank you. I'm not Really worried about the brake light overriding the turn signal. This work is more to ensure i checked all the boxes for road use in the unlikely even someone wants to give me a hard time.

The diode makes sense as one of my suspicions is that the signal from one light was "bleeding" over to the other light. Do you have a resistance recommendation?
Old 11-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
nmcaruso
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

thank you Lochlin for helping with image posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1303.jpg (196.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1164.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (206.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration