lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #41
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Allied Lithium batteries?

IMO 60 amp hours is very marginal.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #42
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
IMO 60 amp hours is very marginal.
I dunno. I think it really depends upon your driving "habit." Mine worked fine for two hunting seasons. I got two nice bucks in a row. But I went for more because I just wanted it!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #43
miketamaclark@cox.net
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I agree, if I only knew then what I know now.
miketamaclark@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #44
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketamaclark@cox.net View Post
I agree, if I only knew then what I know now.
Yes.....it would look something like this!!

Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #45
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

60 A/H is more than a 4X12V lead acid battery pack carries as usable capacity before you hit the 50% SOC point, once you factor in the efficiency losses of lead acid batteries in the charging/discharging/storage phases of its use. In a new 155 A/H pack, with the losses figured in, we get a bit over 47 A/H of usable capacity per cycle.

I do not like the Allied 12 battery solution. Multiple reasons, but the primary reason is they are not an integrated solution. Each battery can and will drop out as your cart draws more than it can supply. The risk of corrupting your controller is very real. An integrated lithium BMS system that monitors ALL cells in comparison to ALL other cells will detect faults. And the current limiting factors in the system can be mitigated.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #46
Pickensmd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am reading through and gaining knowledge. I have been contemplating the Leaf Lithium build as well and many others, but Bob, you seem to have a high level of expertise here. I completely understand the need for an integrated BMS for the preservation of the controller. I have another source that is utilizing a lithium ion pack that comes with a built in BMS for those reasons but it is intended for a different usage. If it really means just changing some wires I’m seriously considering that option instead of the leaf batteries.
Pickensmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #47
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickensmd View Post
I am reading through and gaining knowledge. I have been contemplating the Leaf Lithium build as well and many others, but Bob, you seem to have a high level of expertise here. I completely understand the need for an integrated BMS for the preservation of the controller. I have another source that is utilizing a lithium ion pack that comes with a built in BMS for those reasons but it is intended for a different usage. If it really means just changing some wires I’m seriously considering that option instead of the leaf batteries.
Can you share the type of battery you're considering? I usually follow threads related to lithium builds\installs as I find this an interesting subject! (Hey...I'm retired, it's all educational!!)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #48
Dinny
Not Yet Wild

I have recently installed Allied batteries in an RXV and have found the following:-

There are issues if the cart is fully charged and then driven downhill for about 1/4 mile. When the brake is pressed for the first time the cart goes into a freewheel mode and does not brake. You have to apply the brake several times and suddenly the brake will start to work. This is repeatable and I know it has happened to several carts.

When one battery goes into protect mode it locks the rear brake, this has happened whilst driving at full speed.

In all cases these are standard carts with factory controllers etc.

Has anyone else experienced these issues as I'm very concerned about safety.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #49
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
I have recently installed Allied batteries in an RXV and have found the following:-

There are issues if the cart is fully charged and then driven downhill for about 1/4 mile. When the brake is pressed for the first time the cart goes into a freewheel mode and does not brake. You have to apply the brake several times and suddenly the brake will start to work. This is repeatable and I know it has happened to several carts.

When one battery goes into protect mode it locks the rear brake, this has happened whilst driving at full speed.

In all cases these are standard carts with factory controllers etc.

Has anyone else experienced these issues as I'm very concerned about safety.
Dinny....I don't have an RXV cart and I know nothing about them. However, I have read some threads about the RXV and they are designed to lock up the brakes when the cart goes into complete "power out".

Search the threads on the forum for RXV post from CGTech. He's an RXV expert (well.....he knows a ton about all brands) and perhaps could shed some light on a workaround.

Edit: Look at this thread https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...95#post1711595 and see if this provides you with a solution your looking for.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #50
a65l
Not Yet Wild

So I see it's been March since I installed the Allied Lithiums. I had some issues with the cart to sort out, but overall my impression of the batteries is positive. Since putting the new motor in the cart it's reasonablly fast, and acceleration is good. I have one fairly steep (and short) hill on my lot and the cart climbs it with no issues. Out on the road it seems reasonablly fast. I probablly put a couple miles on it every day, although I haven't really done any empirical measurements. I'll set up a GPS one of these days and track how far I actually drive. I usually charge about once a week, when the Allied charge meter says 30-40 percent remaining. I ran it as low as 10% once, just to see, and it seemed to be a little slower but that might just be my imagination. A full charge seems to take about 3 or so hours, I never really sat out there and timed it. Max amp draw I've seen was around 160 amps, I believe, as it was really momentary and I was watching the road more. I guess I could get those stats out of the Vectron, but I haven't seen any really alarming numbers when I looked.

Overall, I'd say my experience was positive to date. I don't regret not getting larger batteries, at least not yet. Pricey yes, but I figure it's the 2x FLA batteries, and I should get at least that much use out of them.
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO